A Space Invader

Harrison Owen hhowen at comcast.net
Wed Jan 26 06:25:18 PST 2005

Doug wrote: What do you do when someone tries to close down the space around
you in a meeting? I've recently had the experience of someone wanting to see
anything others said as a competition or a threat. She even took upon
herself to rescind a decision made by the group! Any thoughts on keeping
space open in such meetings and in life in the face of such?

*****************************

Ah - that's why they pay you the big bucks! I don't know that there is a
"standard" way of handling situations like this, but my approach basically
follows three steps.

1) Gently inform the offender that the space needs to stay open, and if
she/he has some concerns -- that would make a very good topic for a group.

2) Directly inform the offender about the sanctity of the space - and if
this is all happening at Evening News/Morning Announcements it might be to
the point to suggest that "it is over" - and everybody could move along to
the next thing. Of course if everybody just sits there, that will be their
choice - but at least they had the opening for a break for freedom.

3) If 1) and 2) fail (and especially if the offender turns out to be the
boss/CEO/MD) I would stand up and say that my job is to keep the space open,
and that was my commitment to the group. Since I can't honor my commitment,
I will have to go. And I leave. In truth I have never actually had to go to
Step 3 but I find it useful to know that I might someday - and be prepared.
Each group must take responsibility for itself, and should they wish to sit
there being cowed and presumably miserable, that is their choice. But I
think our responsibility is to make sure that they know they have a choice -
and that in fact they are choosing no matter what they do or do not do. Not
incidentally, clear conversation with the sponsor/bosses/etc prior to the
gathering so that they are aware of what your role actually is (space
holder)has been effective, I think, in saving me from the ultimate step. Of
course it may also terminate my relationship with the group - but I would
rather that happen before rather than later.

Harrison

Harrison

Harrison Owen
7808 River Falls Drive
Potomac, Maryland   20845
Phone 301-365-2093

Open Space Training www.openspaceworld.com <http://www.openspaceworld.com/>

To subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the archives Visit: