Open Space Institute (US) - 2005 Update

Peggy Holman peggy at opencirclecompany.com
Mon Jan 17 11:47:07 PST 2005

To friends and members of the Open Space Institute(US),

- - -
WHO ARE WE/YOU?
- - -
We serve Open Space practitioners and enthusiasts around the world - supporting learning, practice, research, publication, dissemination of information, access to events and building community to further the understanding and sharing of Open Space Technology.

We join with our colleagues, the Open Space Institutes around the world, and you as individuals, to hold space for Open Space in the world.  We (the current Board of OSI-US -- Karen Davis, John Engle, Doug Germann, Lisa Heft, Michael Herman, Peggy Holman, Leon de King, Kerry Napuk, Mikk Sarv, and Gabriel Shirley) are not just of the United States - we are from Scotland, Estonia and the United States.  Members of OSI-US - and there are many of them among you, dear readers -- have been from Canada, Switzerland, Germany, Denmark, Scotland, Japan, Australia, France, England and Taiwan.

- - -
WHAT ACTIVITIES DO MEMBERS SUPPORT?
- - -

Membership donations have helped us to continue serving Open Space facilitators and enthusiasts around the world.  How?

- - -
What You Helped Us Do During 2004

- - -

*  Funded 10 Haitian participants at the regional Haitian OSonOS

*  Funded OST training in Katmandu, Nepal

*  Funded preservation of original (1989) Goa Open Space video footage

* Funded an OS practitioner living in Moscow to attend the annual Open Space on Open Space in Goa, India

*  Hosted the first US national OSonOS - OsonOSinUS

http://www.openspaceworld.org/network/wiki.cgi?OpenSpaceOnOpenSpaceInUS

*  Donated 25 copies of Harrison's Practice of Peace (first edition) to a prison library project and 15 copies to the Nepal OS training group

*  Donated to the OS world map (http://www.openspaceworldmap.org/)

*  Published an issue of STORIES, The Newsletter of the Open Space Institute (US) http://www.openspaceworld.org/tmnfiles/newsletter0412.htm)

* Launched the Education Wiki Weekend - an interactive database on Open Space applications in education - to improve our practice as facilitators by learning from each others' experience and to create a rich resource for future sponsors to visit and understand the benefits of using Open Space in education. http://www.openspaceworld.org/network/wiki.cgi?OpenSpaceinEducation

*  Continued to support the online working space for OS practitioners www.openspaceworld.net

*  Posted the OSI-US Board conversations in public view as an invitation a) to organizations to notice that such organization / process is possible and b) to individuals who may wish to join our conversations on issues and projects for which they share passion.

http://www.openspaceworld.org/network/wiki.cgi?OpenSpaceInstituteUSA

*  Acted as fiscal agent for the administration and registration of international participants to OSonOS in Goa.

*  Acted as fiscal agent for Access Queen (a source of funds to supplement travel expenses to OSonOS)

* Enabled online credit card processing for OSI-US donations, Access Queen, and OSonOS registration

http://www.openspaceproducts.us/payments.html

*  Developed a letter of agreement as a template to request OSI act as a fiscal agent

http://www.openspaceworld.org/network/wiki.cgi?SampleFundingLetterAgreement

*  Began a conversation with Appreciative Inquiry and future search practitioners for a joint Schools and Youth Summit

*  Joined the National Coalition of Dialogue and Deliberation

http://www.thataway.org/

*  Became a distributor for Circles of Change: a quiet revolution in Haiti

http://www.openspaceworld.org/wiki/wiki/wiki.cgi?OpenSpaceBooksAndVideos

*-*-*-*-*
What We Are Working on for 2005
*-*-*-*-*

*  Open an online space for an OS Project Service Market (convening an online market place to support projects of members of the OS community; more details soon)

*  Co-host an Open Space Research Project (with colleagues from Canada, Germany and Australia, we wish to understand the effect of OS on the world; more details soon)

http://www.openspaceworld.org/network/wiki.cgi?OpenSpaceResearch

*  Continue supporting participation in OSonOS for people in underserved areas

*  Continue supporting OS training in underserved areas

*  Continue collaboration on an education summit with Appreciative Inquiry and future search practitioners (More details soon)

*  Host the second annual OSonOSinUS  (Details soon at http://www.openspaceworld.org/network/wiki.cgi?OpenSpaceOnOpenSpaceInUS/Invitation2005)

*  Continue support of working space for OS practitioners (www.openspaceworld.net)

*  Prepare for 20th anniversary of OS celebration (and a surprise party for Harrison's 70th birthday; more details soon)

(okay so since Harrison is no doubt reading this, the fact that something will happen isn't a surprise but none of us have a clue yet of what, where and when, so, as someone once said, be prepared to be surprised)

If any of these projects catch your eye - contact us and we'll make it happen together!

- - -
THANK YOU for your support and your involvement - your passion and your responsibility for what has heart and meaning --  from the Board of Directors of the Open Space Institute of the US:

Karen Davis, John Engle, Doug Germann, Lisa Heft, Michael Herman, Peggy Holman, Leon de King, Kerry Napuk, Mikk Sarv, and Gabriel Shirley

P.S.  Join us in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada for the 13th annual Open Space on Open Space, August 3-6.  Details soon:

http://www.openspaceworld.org/wiki/wiki/wiki.cgi?OpenSpaceOnOpenSpace

and join us in San Antonio, Texas sometime in November for the 2nd annual Open Space on Open Space in the U.S.  Details soon at:

http://www.openspaceworld.org/network/wiki.cgi?OpenSpaceOnOpenSpaceInUS/Invitation2005

___________________________________
Peggy Holman
Open Space Institute (US)
15347 SE 49th Place
Bellevue, Wa  98006
(425) 746-6274
www.openspaceworld.org

To subscribe to the open space listserv, visit

For Open Space products, visit
http://www.openspaceworld.org/wiki/wiki/wiki.cgi?OpenSpaceBooksAndVideos

To donate to the OSI-US, visit
http://www.openspaceproducts.us/payments.html