Open Space & Anti-Americanism

Alan Klein alan at klein.net
Sun Feb 6 14:29:28 PST 2005

Stephen Decatur is reported to have made the following toast at a dinner in
Norfolk, Virginia, in April of 1816:

"Our country? In her intercourse with foreign nations, may she always be in
the right, but our country right or wrong." (Alexander Slidell Mackenzie,
Life of Stephen Decatur, 1848, p. 295)

On February 29, 1872, Senator Carl Schurz made the following remark on the
floor of the U.S. Senate:

"..My country; and my country is the great American Republic. My country,
right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right."
(The Congressional Globe, vol. 45, p. 1287)

This is from the web site:
http://www.c-span.org/classroom/govt/rwh032804.asp

~Alan Klein

was uttered by Naval Commander Stephen Decatur in 1816.
The full sentence:
"Our country! In her intercourse with foreign nations, may she always
be in the right; but our country, right or wrong."
Carl Schurz picked it up half a century later expanding on it in the
version that Alan Klein quoted.