Open Space ed tour - response sought quickly, please ...

Lisa Heft lisaheft at openingspace.net
Mon Feb 21 11:01:43 PST 2005

Hello, folks -

The following is a message from a filmmaker and Open Space facilitator
who is interested in planning a visit to various places in the world to
learn more about Open Space and peace work and also share her passion
for saving the Tasmanian forests.

She is putting together a proposal (this week, so please contact her
right away) - perhaps some of you may wish to contact her to help or
host her.  Thanks, Lisa

Please respond directly to her at:  movinglens at hotmail.com

I am a filmmaker and an Open Space practitioner (newly) in Hobart,
Tasmania,
Australia.

I have been making films about Tasmanian forest issues for about five
years
now, in an attempt to raise awareness about our forest industry (mainly
woodchips) and the loss of magnificent tall forests and rainforests to
woodchipping and plantation establishment.  What I see as the main
problem
now is that our community is at loggerheads over the issues.  The main
company involved is sueing lots of individuals, and the rhetoric of war
abounds.  I would love to bring some peace to the area and have people
listening to each other as fellow human beings, and I see Open Space as
the
technology that can allow that.

I have just seen the grant paper and decided at very short notice (one
week
short of the deadline !) to put in an application to the Churchill Trust
for
a Fellowship that would pay travel and living allowance for an eight
week
period and allow me to visit other countries and people in order to
learn
what I can about Open Space and peacebuilding and then bring it back to
Tamania and Australia and apply it here.

I've just looked on the OS website and seen that there is a program
called
The Practice of Peace : A Program for Peacemakers with Suzanne Maxwell
in
New Mexico in September of this year - I plan to register for this
program
and make it the starting point of the tour.  From there I'm open to
visiting
any country where I could further this aim.  I'd also love to bring with
me
some of my films and those of other filmmakers to show what is happening

here in Tasmania and to learn what I can from other people and places
about
possible mechanisms for having the whole community embrace and practice
sustainable forest management.  (I'm particularly interested in
indigenous
people and their way of being with the forest.  I've been involved with
the
Gondwana Forest Sanctuary Campaign for the southern hemisphere and have
dreams of making films around indigenous people and forest in the next
year
or so.)

If any of this strikes a chord with you I'd love to hear from you, or if
you
know of someone who might be a likely candidate for a visit, maybe you
could
forward this to them,  bearing in mind that the application is
particularly
in the context of Open Space.  A rough plan (thrown together today ! )
is :
            USA Sep 18 - 30
            Canada  Oct 1 - 10
            Europe Oct 11 - 31
            Israel Nov 1 - 10
            India Nov 11 - 25
This is actually 10 weeks and more time and countries than the program
advises, but I can apply to build in some of my own time in there as
well.
And I would then plan to be in India for a couple of months (in Kerala)
if I
am able to extend before heading back to Australia with all the goodies
!

I'm putting in my application, with a schedule, this week, so a quick
response would be really appreciated, otherwise I'll be doing some
creative
schedule writing.  At this stage it is only a brief and rough outline
they
are looking for - so I am really only needing quick expressions of
interest
- lengthy, interesting emails are also welcome !

Hoping this is of interest to you, and to hear from you soon All the
best

Shivanii

Shivanii

Moving Lens Productions