the 'os' weblog

Michael Herman michael at michaelherman.com
Sat Dec 31 16:44:43 PST 2005

all good points and questions, harrison.

first, the weblog is not closed.  anyone can write to the list here
and ask for their post to be cross-posted.  anyone can comment now.
elsewhere in the site are many other places to contribute directly,
for credit, and those i discuss below -- and in the site itself.

the simple fact is that i have just created so many new openings for
people to participate in the site that i couldn't possibly unveil them
all now, all at once... some are still taking shape and so this whole
business about closed is really just a bit premature.  every door is
half open before it's wide, and this door is definitely swinging
toward wide.  patience, please, patience!

and yes, the reason it is not totally wide open, is wholly technical
and (i hope) totally temporary, as i also thought i mentioned in my
response.  actually the reason is maybe more practical than technical.

consider that when you wrote the last book, practice of peace, you
shopped it around to folks, asked for comments.  you gave us a
deadline and some other parameters to work with.  you said you wanted
to know about some things and not about others.  we worked within your
frame, to create a book that was for everyone, but was still to be
authored by you.  we helped you write your book.

going back a bit in history, tales from open space was a collection of
stories, selected stories.  i wasn't around at that time, or not
enough to get invited to that party, but i'm guessing that you did not
publish the first dozen stories that came.  there is limited space in
a book and some editorial decisions had to be made.

the same is true in the website.  there is limited attention.  it is
an edited project.  there are practical (if not well-defined) limits
on how fast a group can give a story some working shape, test things
out, and make the invitation clearer so that more and more who are
less familiar with the process can understand and participate more
quickly.  there are only so many posts one set of readers can follow.
when a blog moves faster than readers can keep up, they often check
out.

the other practical limit is on my time.  the process of managing the
site is not small.  in order to turn people loose with passwords and
such, they need to know something about how and why things are wired
like they are.  i'm still learning how all the software works.  i'm
teaching what i already know about that to a core group of folks who i
trusted to well-support my own learning about how to turn the whole
thing over to everyone.

here is what i said to somebody earlier today about this issue of
evolution and giving it away...

when osw.org was but 2 or 3 months old, all the pixels on a huge
bulletin board story-catching structure were still drying... i had
everyone here in chicago for osonos... mmp put up a page on teh wall
and said "open space websites" at the top... and asked for links... i
sat back in my chair and turned to the person next to me and said "see
that?  he's about to make the whole of my last six months work on
osw.org obsolete in another six months. " (and i was glad for it,
smiling, you know?)  i said, "and that's how it really should be, one
big list of os websites on one page, all just links to other sites."

so now, we are close to being able to realize this vision, with the
weblog being an ongoing, annotated list of links to those sites.
people who put up static sites will be mentioned once and again when
they redesign in three years.  people who mine the list and put up a
new paper every month will be mentioned monthly.  passion and
responsibility, attention and action, all finely and dynamically
balanced!  it really is open space in the elegance with which it
solves some really basic and potentially thorny issues.

on the oslist and inside of many openspace events, the mess is fine...
but if the proceedings documents came out looking like the "wall" then
we'd have a hard time selling it in many places.   the website and
weblog are necessarily a bit more like proceedings, summarizing what
had happened.  linking to many things elsewhere, but being essentially
tidier places, "books" of proceedings.

anyone can post anything on a site or on the list anywhere and ask
that it be posted on the weblog.  those who contribute often in that
way will certainly be asked to step up, join our monthly conference
calls, and learn somehting about posting directly.

you always said about OT, "please do come for the whole thing, as this
doesn't work well with drop-ins."  well, i'm just saying the same
thing for the weblog.  it doesn't work well with drop-ins.  there is a
body to it, and it takes time to understand and appreciate and know
how to operate in it.

we have a smallish group of folks who've committed their energies to
getting somehting going.  we have had one of what we've said would be
monthly confereance calls.  we've all committed to posting on a
regular basis.  we are working together in a backchannel blog to
discuss issues that emerge.  it's a very active process and one that i
only had energy to initiate with folks who were willing to show up for
the full 2.5 days.

and that is the choice that i claim... i only have to teach people how
to run this thing if they have convinced me that they're in it for the
whole thing.  as the thing gets going, holding its own shape, we have
suggested that we would bring in others only as fast as any one person
in the group is willing to work with and orient the new person to how
the whole thing works.  anyone in the group can choose to invite
another person, but only if they will take direct and personal
responsibility for making sure they don't get lost and won't delete
things that can never be restored.

i can only say that i have spent more than half of december working
more than full-time, all volunteer of course, to create this new
platform.  i'm still learning all of what it can do.  i'm so very
grateful for those who've stepped forward and become partners in this.
 so too, for those who have contributed funds toward expenses.  as
fast as we can figure out which end is up on this thing, we will begin
inviting others, in the way that feels best to us, in the way that we
can actually support.

we would never go to a company and demand that the chiefs invite the
whole company.  if a leader wanted to invite some core group that
would then invite and open spaces for more groups as they chose, then
i, for one, would be thrilled to work with them.

this weblog thing is not an event... it's an ongoing practice.
posting to it directly is not a right, it's a privilege.  it seems not
unduly restrictive to ask people to send things to the list or to me
or another author for posting, rather than play tech support to
everyone with a passing thought about open space.

what's more there are lots of other ways that people can participate
in what can now unfold in the site.  anyone can post pictures at
flickr and they'll show up almost immediately in our site, with links
back to them.  passion + responsibility => credit.  when we post links
to lisa's papers, we'll post links to her site.  more credit.
commenting on the blog is open to all. open credit for what you post.
anyone with a new or existing weblog can be immediately added our list
of os weblogs.  that list appears on every weblog page, not buried
deep inside of the site.

other less public ways to participate would be to join a monthly
conference call, or read and comment in our backchannel "newsroom"
weblog.  as we figure things out there, i'll be posting a link to
that, where we are documenting all of our work and already assembling
the "orientation" materials so that new people can get up and running
faster.

the bottom line is that osw.org is a community project only because i
and a couple of other folks who've helped me along the way have done a
lot of work to cobble it all together.  it has never hung together as
a whole all by itself.  i've been trying all along the way to give it
away and am doing that as fast as the technology and my energy will
allow.

please stay tuned!  and if anybody wants to post things to the blog,
then just post them to the list and put a flag in the subject line.

we really have done a phenomenal amount of work and, in time, the
thing really will be opening and opening and opening.  of course,
since all of cyberspace is also open space, anyone is free to go start
their own blog and we will link to that.  it's unlikely that many
hundreds of us can all blog in one little stream anyway.  anybody who
is really bothered by how apparently slow we are moving is welcome to
get out there and try to blow by us!  i'm sure we'd all be the better
for the mutlitple outlets.

big hug and much love to you harrison... i'm napping as fast as i can!

michael

mherman at globalchicago.net
skype: globalchicago