Material compiled from OSLIST archives as a paper

Michael Herman michael at michaelherman.com
Sat Dec 31 10:30:53 PST 2005

hello lisa, some first thoughts on your questions below...
in general... the shift to the weblog as primary focus mirrors ourwork in opening space in organization.  we're not trying to collectand archive 'stuff' anymore in one site (in the wiki), but initiatingthe practice of simply raising and flagging for widest attention anyissues/opportunities (resources, stories, news, initiatives, etc) thatcome up in the community.  not necessary for osw.org to 'own' a copyof everything, but enough to offer links to where the action is.  theproceedings don't have to be complete transcripts, a short summary ofkey points and a list of participants is enough for anyone to contacta participant and continue any one conversation.  so the weblog is asort of ticker tape, marketplace and news wall for the juiciest stuff(resources, stories, initiatives, etc) that is happening in the worldas open spacers know it...
as for length, weblogs can be very useful and perk along very happilyon 3-line posts, each one with a link or two or three or nine to otherkey resources and stories.  a weblog is a sort of ticker tape ornewswire, it's not the whole analysis or full reports, just theheadlines... stocks up, bonds down, fire on elm street, joe's 100thbirthday, new thing invented, man walks on moon... for more info"click here".
and now more specifically to your questions...

On 12/31/05, Lisa Heft <lisaheft at openingspace.net> wrote:>>>>> 1>> Ashley, if we have these papers existing, can we send (for example) a Word> document to you or someone else for posting on the weblog?>>>> These are long papers – I'm not sure if it would be useful or a burden to> place such long papers as an OSLIST message.  And for people who receive the> digest version of OSLIST, I would think it might be even lengthier.>>
don't send them, lisa.  they're already posted online somewhere.  justsend the list of what is there and what the links are.  then we cansimply post them all at once.  if there are many we might post them ina couple of groups.  my guess is that if you send the list of what youhave, the posting way forward will be clear enough.
anyone who didn't have a beautiful website like you do, could alwaywrite such a thing and post to the list.  it might be long, but thereis always the delete button.  what seems most important is actuallytwo things, that the stuff people are finding is published somewhere(online) and that the oslist group can see and appreciate that work. posting to the oslist is one quick and easy way to accomplish both ofthose things.
notice, too, that if you were to post your papers (titles and links)to the list here, you (and anyone else who put their papers up ontheir own site) would automatically let the list know of that whilethey flagged it for posting in the weblog as well.
as we watch new years celebrations start up around the world, first inNZ and OZ then move around the world, think of the same sort ofcascading i'm describing as so many nearly simultaneous os eventsaround the world... first these papers of yours or anyone's (or anyother gems) go up on individuals sites.  the best of that work getsreported in the list for more to see.  if you don't have a website,you can post directly to the list.  they might be long, but i'll betthey won't come often enough to really overwhelm us.  and whatever isposted or referenced on the list can be further reported in theweblog, to a still wider audience.  the best of the best keeps gettingpulled forward and each new event includes traces of previous eventselsewhere, with links and credit given along the way.

>> 2>> And would the lengthiness work on a weblog?>>
answered above.

>> 3>> Would the sourcing? (each quote has some info after it referring to the> person who said it)>> Would the layout? (does everything – text and source info) roll out on a> narrow width and make for a long long scolling down for an article?>>
not an issue in the approach i've suggested.

>> 4>> Can someone look up this info on the weblog with some sort of key word> search, or is the title listed on the weblog just in order of receipt, or ?>>>> As you can see, I'm not used to weblogs…yet…and some of it may be like the> wiki was but some seems to be different, so thanks for the info, and thank> you for teaching me and us all, Ashley, Michael, Ted and others.  Thank you,> little oslist weblog team, for working behind the scenes and inviting the> creation of more resources.>
the weblog is fully searchable, so your descriptions of papers shouldinclude key words, types of organizations, and other descriptors,whatever is appropriate, and anyone who enters that key word in thesearch box will find all the posts that contain the word(s).
there are also a number of categories, where someone only has to clickone key word and they will get all the posts that have been taggedwith that word.  invitations, initiatives, articles, insights, are afew of the categories we've identified so far.  we had more but aretrying to keep it down to what feels like a more manageable and usefulnumber.
the wiki (resources collection) is also still fully searchable.  soanything already there can still be rooted.
many thanks for the questions.  hope these answers help.
michael

--
Michael HermanMichael Herman Associates300 West North Ave #1105Chicago IL 60610 USAPhone: 312-280-7838mherman at globalchicago.netskype: globalchicago
http://www.michaelherman.comhttp://www.globalchicago.net/wikihttp://www.openspaceworld.org