facilitating participant

Phelim McDermott phelim at mac.com
Fri Dec 30 12:17:57 PST 2005

Hi kevin,

I was just thinking of this today. As I floated in a tank of salt
water in the dark. In preparation for next weekend when I also
facilitate  my first open space event! I put together an invitation
which was about how to make things better in our theatre community.
It was because I felt passionately that things weren't as good as
they could be in theatreland and i was fed up of hearing myself moan
and not doing something about it. The invite was called "devoted and
disgruntled." It's had an extraordinary response and we have gone
beyond the capacity of our space. with 200 people and fifty on a
waiting list. It was only after a short while i realised that this
thing I cared about passionately was something I wouldn't be able to
contribute to as a participant. What about all those things i was
disgruntled about! How would I get to contribute them and get them
dealt with?

Then i realised that I had to model what I was asking for in my
community which is to trust that those things WILL get dealt with by
the group. Especially if I hold the space with the right spirit. In
fact it was imperative for me to hold back my impulse to contribute
as that was actually a secret way for the bit of me that wants to
control things  to work its way into the process. It was the bit of
me that was attached to the event "Going well" and wanted solutions!

made my contribution by sending the invite and getting the response I
have. In fact the event has already gone very well! It's already a
success and I have to do my best by enjoying that..  hold the space
and not do it! Let the ~Open space event do me! Even if it is a
disaster modeling holding the space and staying out of things will be
an incredible gift/learning for myself and everyone involved. In fact
when i think about it one of the big things i am disgruntled about is
that theatre doesn't model and use this kind of servant leadership
enough. So i was contributing in a wider an answer to all my questions.

The other thing that occurs to me in the moment is that in the tank I
asked myself this question..   get back to this string and its been
asked and answered by people. It's the same process.

Of course I'm not saying this is what you should do and I also think
it would be interesting to get fluidity around the participant/
facilitator roles. I just know its not right for me on my first
outing. It will be enough to manage to stay awake as it all happens.
This is where I'm at a week away. I'll let you know how it goes and
good luck with your event.

Phelim

www.improbable.co.uk