The Tao of Open Space

Harrison Owen hhowen at verizon.net
Sat Dec 24 06:19:18 PST 2005

Frank - I think the Silence you noticed is just a little Open Space as those
of us who celebrate Christmas settle in for a long Winter's Nap, preparatory
to the great unveiling on the morrow. Or something.

As for the Tao of Open Space, I really enjoyed that. Truly works! And for
whatever it is worth the phrase "Open Space" first put in its appearance in
my thought and writing referring to the moment in the age old cycle of Grief
when everything had departed and nothing emerged - My image was that
tantalizing instant between breathing in and out. Buddhist friends were sure
that what I was talking about (what in their terms is known as) the Void,
which may be understood as the experience of pure Consciousness. In that
instant there is nothing and everything. If interested in following some
this along click on http://openspaceworld.com/Spirit.pdf.  This will bring
you to "Spirit: Transformation and Development in Organizations (1987) Check
out Chapters V and VII.

When Open Space Technology came along in 1985, I named it quite consciously
for that incredible moment. It seemed to me that every time we opened space
(as in doing an "Open Space") the experience at the start, just sitting in
the circle before a word has been spoken, was of such a sort and nature.
With a history like that it is little wonder that some folks consider OS to
be weird. :-)

Harrison

NEW EMAIL ADDRESS!!!!

hhowen at verizon.net

Harrison Owen

7808 River Falls Drive

Potomac, Maryland   20854

Phone 301-365-2093

Skype hhowen

Open Space Training  <http://www.openspaceworld.com/> www.openspaceworld.com

Open Space Institute  <http://www.openspaceworld.org> www.openspaceworld.org

Personal website  <http://www.ho-image.com> www.ho-image.com

OSLIST: To subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the archives
Visit:  <http://listserv.boisestate.edu/archives/oslist.html>
www.listserv.boisestate.edu/archives/oslist.html