New member introduction

Lisa Heft lisaheft at openingspace.net
Wed Dec 14 22:00:04 PST 2005

Hi, Kevin -

You asked:
<What would you recommend focusing my precious study time on considering

that I am not a facilitator, nor do I really have any experience in it
(other than conducting meetings at work). I have met some "facilitators"

however, and am blown away at how, well, "easy" and smoothly meaningful
conversations happen in their hands.  I wanna be like that!>

I think that being on this OSLIST is like being in Open Space University
- so this is a great place to learn.  You might think about going to an
Asia regional conference of the International Association of
Facilitators - which would give you little mini-sampler courses in many
facilitation methods and introduce you to others.
http://www.iaf-world.org <http://www.iaf-world.org/>

You might also try the Institute of Cultural Affairs / Japan:
http://www.icajapan.org/indexe.html

There are also books which my colleagues have enjoyed, and I'm sure
they'll recommend some.  Perhaps if you ask that question all on its
own, with a special title - like "Books for Learning Facilitation" (or
whatever) - other individuals who want to look that up in future on our
OSLIST archives will be able to benefit from all that input, as well.

You also asked,
<I'm sure the answer is "word of mouth" and "building relationships",
but
I still gotta ask, where do you folk's clients come from?>

You've got it.  And then sometimes you just jump in and decide to
develop a meeting of your own and facilitate it, inviting interesting
people to join you !  You will also meet other facilitators at these
conferences for example, and perhaps you'll meet some people with whom
you can collaborate..

Take care,
Lisa

L i s a   H e f t