OST with less than 25 words

Chris Corrigan chris at chriscorrigan.com
Wed Dec 14 14:57:33 PST 2005

I think the trick is tailoring it to your sponsor's language and using the
appropriate questions, statements and words for them.

If it's markets, it's markets, if it's activists I talk about getting people
to work on stuff that really matters.  If it's business people it's
"creating and immediately implementing high performance work teams."  If
it's religious people it's "harnessing the power of Spirit to bring
meaningful work to our community."  If it's community building we're all
about "discerning what's most important and taking responsibility for it."

OST is just a shell...Harrison described it once as "vapourware."  There
really isn't anything there.  What it does is simply strip away all the
pretence and get people to work.  In different groups that has radically
different applications and descriptions...I always think that it behooves me
to find out what the sponsor wants to do and then talk about how OST will do
that.

Chris

On 12/14/05, Michael Herman <michael at michaelherman.com> wrote:

> There are some "elevator speech" short descriptions of open space
> posted on the website...
> http://www.openspaceworld.org/cgi/wiki.cgi?OpenSpaceElevatorSpeeches
> ...not sure if any are quite as short as 25 words.
>
> I like what peggy said the other day... taking responsibility for what
> you love.  i've called it "making markets for moving people and
> information."   i like what jack says, too.
>

> On 12/14/05, Jack Ricchiuto <jack at designinglife.com> wrote:
> >  First, I like the short statement on OST.
> >
> >  I've started to do brief descriptions framed around questions rather
> than
> > statements. This is especially elegant in describing OS where the media
> of
> > inquiry becomes the message of authentic engagement in community. For
> OS, it
> > would be something like: Do you like to be in conversations in this
> > community where you feel alive, inspired, connected, surprised, engaged,
> and
> > empowered? Well, that's what happens in open space.
> >

> >  Jack
> >

> >  __.__.__.__.__.__.__.__.__.__.__.__.__.__.__.__.__.__
> >
> >  jack ricchiuto
> >  two.one.six/three.seven.three/seven.four.seven.five
> >  www.designinglife.com / www.appreciativeleadership.com
> >

> >  > From: Eric Lilius <elilius at halhinet.on.ca>
> >  > Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 16:45:03 -0500
> >  > To: <OSLIST at LISTSERV.BOISESTATE.EDU>
> >  > Subject: Re: OST with less than 25 words
> >
> >  >
> >  > Mikk,
> >  > To make it a little more in keeping with English syntax I would add
> "a"
> > in
> >  > front
> >  > of "surprisingly". Do you mean "binding" rather than "bounding"?
> >  > Thus,
> >  > Open Space Technology is a surprisingly simple high performance
> system,
> >  > binding passion with responsibility.
> >  >
> >  > I would be inclined to substitute  "an elegantly" for "surprisingly".
> >  >
> >  > Eric
> >  >
> >  > Mikk Sarv wrote:
> >  >

> >  >> workshop in Estonia wrestling with short definition of OST - how to
> >  >> respond with less than 25 words, if you are asked, what is OST.
> >  >>
> >  >> We resulted in 13 words, pursuing the new dimension of High
> Performance
> >  >> System:
> >  >>
> >  >> Open Space Technology is surprisingly simple high performance
> system,
> >  >> bounding passion with responsibility.
> >  >>
> >  >> Please help, if doesn't sound English/American ;-)
> >  >>
> >  >> Mikk Sarv,
> [...]

CHRIS CORRIGAN
Consultation - Facilitation