New member introduction

Patricia Haines levelgreen at kaxy.com
Mon Dec 12 12:02:12 PST 2005

KEvin:

I love this listserv: all the interesing people to meet!

I'm writing now particularly in the  hope that you'll check out <uspartnership.org> - and consider
adding your voice, and your OSP and Sustainable Development expertise, to the U.S. partnership for
the Decade of Education for Sustainable Development.

This is the US response to the UN Decade that was launched just last March - and initially
introduced to the UN by the Japanese.  The Partnership's international liaison, Will Duggan (contact
info on uspartnership.org site), can give you some contact names for Japanese participants in the
Decade - might be a good way to meet like-minded people.

I sparked to your message also because my son lives in Tokyo and I have very much enjoyed visiting
him.  I'm also in conversation with the Grundtvig Society of Japan, a network of school teachers and
community educators who have links with the Nordic folk schools [N.S.F. Grundtvig was the renegade
Lutheran bishop whose educational philosophy sparked the folk school movement in mid-19th century
Scandinavia].

I don't know if you encountered folk schools during your time in sweden, but they have been a quiet
yet remarkable catalyst for community-based democracy-related learning for over 150 years. If you'd
like me to send you the japanese contact information for the Grundtvig Society.

All the best - Patricia Haines, Level Green Institute, ithaca, NY