An OS "critique" and response

Harrison Owen hhowen at comcast.net
Wed Aug 31 10:35:19 PDT 2005

I was being a little bit too curmudgeonly, for sure. And Chris is precisely right (is he ever wrong?). Having some useful maps of the territory is extraordinarily helpful under any circumstance and particularly when you find yourself in the strange waters of OS. Just a matter of historical record I personally began with the maps, and only later discovered how useful they could be. Odd way of saying things, but my earlier work (30 years ago) centered on the levels of consciousness and the way in which the stories we tell (our mythology) reflects those levels -- and the whole concern was the process of transformation in organizations. And here is the three martini story -- a friend, David Bell Isle and myself were sitting on the lawn of a wonderful conference center contemplating the state of the world (with help from our spirited friends -- we each had one and a half) and our limited ability to assist our clients in the turbulent environment in which they found themselves. David and I were both deeply committed to what was known then and now as Organization Development, but it seems that just about the time we had figured out a nice, linear, rational process, and actually gotten our clients started along the road -- all hell would break loose. One more wave of transformation! It seemed to us that we needed a different and maybe deeper way of looking at things and doing our work. For lack of better words we chose to call it Organization Transformation. It turned out that some other folks had been drinking the same martinis, or equivalent, and had come up with similar thoughts. It was a pretty motley crew including John Adams, Frank Burns, Linda Ackerman, Peter Vaill, Lisa Carlson and a few more. The end result was the convening of The First International Symposium on Organization Transformation with me playing the titular role of host or something. We had little idea where it would all end up, but I particularly liked the root meaning of "symposium." Turns out it comes from two Greek words meaning "with drinking." Anyhow, Organization Transformation was born and seems to be a continuing phenomenon even today. I think we are now up to OT 23 or 24.

But back to the maps. If we were going to make any sense out of the process of transformation, which in the moment is always terribly confusing, to say nothing of chaotic -- we desperately needed some good maps. For my self, I found the work of Ken Wilber to be particularly helpful (Spiral Dynamics hadn't put in an appearance at that point) -- but the problem was that Ken was largely focused on the transformational process with individuals, and I was concerned with organizations. Definitely related, but somehow different. I found myself pondering the question, "What are the organizational analogues to the individual levels of consciousness?" Ken's work was (and is) a mass of scholarly detail, totally fascinating, but more than I needed, I thought. It seemed to me that what might be called the "original version" which is known as the Great Chain of Being might be sufficient for my needs. Very roughly, the Great Chain describes 7 levels of consciousness -- Nothing, Body, Mind, Intellect, Soul, Spirit, and finally -- Nothing. Since it is rather difficult to talk intelligently about "nothing" you are effectively left with 5 levels (Body, Mind, Intellect, Soul and Spirit). These converted in my fertile (and febrile) mind to organizational equivalents which I termed Reactive, Responsive, Proactive, Interactive, and Inspired. If you are interested in the details, I have spilled a lot on ink on them in several books -- but the point at issue is that when Open Space came along, I found much to my surprise that folks would enter at one level and many would then seemingly manifest a higher level -- Transformation before your eyes, if you could believe your eyes. For individuals who seemingly epitomized the level of Intellect -- Soul would break out. And for organizations that were solidly and proudly Proactive, suddenly they began to behave as an Interactive organization! Now for sure, lots of folks didn't make the trip, and of those who did, the vast majority returned to their old ways when the event concluded. But there were always a few who found their life permanently changed. Most remarkable. It seemed that the simple act of opening space enabled, in many cases, a transformative shift. Why all of this should be occurring is the perplexing opportunity of the moment, I think. but that it occurs is a matter of ongoing experience, at least my experience.

But to notice what is happening, you do need a map -- else you are left with massive shifts and no sense of reference. Maps can be exceedingly helpful. And -- I think we all learn painfully -- maps are very limited and never to be confused with the territory. They are simply approximations, our best guess as every sailor knows when they encounter that odd rock or current that was not supposed to be there.

Wow -- I did go on! But I do love maps and a martini or two isn't bad.

Harrison

Harrison Owen
7808 River Falls Dr.
Potomac, MD  20854