Open Space - a minimum?

EVERETT813 at aol.com EVERETT813 at aol.com
Mon Aug 15 10:49:15 PDT 2005

In a message dated 8/15/05 9:03:24 AM, filiztelek at yahoo.com writes:

> I once read somewhere that body does the most of the healing process
> itself...all those medicine we take has just such a little role to activate certain
> actions, chemicals, interactions to happen in the body. but eventually the
> body heals itself...what a fascinating thought!

Filiz:

Well, you haven't lived when there were none of those drugs and the body
didn't heal itself.   You never had to not go swimming in the summer because of
the wild polio virus living in the water could make you sick or kill you or
paralyze you for life.   An iron lung is no place to live.   Leg braces are no
fun.   Joelle experienced that.

You never saw a child die from coughing (Whooping cough) or from a staph or
strep infection that ran wild in the body which wasn't healing itself.   Before
simple forms of cleanliness, ONE THIRD of all women who delivered babies in
the hospitals of the time died of "childbirth fever".   Think about that FACT.

People forget really fast that we are healthy because of those drugs and
practices that have saved millions of lives and allowed people to remain healthy.

That's one of my 'hot buttons', the idea that modern medicine doesn't prevent
disease, that the body does all the healing, etc.   It's all baloney.   Life
is immeasureably better now because of vaccinations, immunizations, drugs,
etc.   Immeasureably better here where we are safe from the malarial mosquito but
we refuse to allow the rest of the impoverished world to use a marvelous
mosquito killer called DDT.   We think it is better for people to die, or be
horribly sick, than to use, effectively and carefully, a chemical that has been
proven to work very, very well.   It has side issues, but compared to human life,
they are side issues.   Silent Spring was a cannon blasting a brush covered
machine gun nest, total overkill that has negatively affected the lives of tens
of millions of people.

Now, I'm almost off my soap box.

Be well and be thankful for medical science.

Paul