A message from Ellen Gottesdiener - how her 500-person event went

Lisa Heft lisaheft at openingspace.net
Wed Aug 24 19:28:39 PDT 2005

Hello, folks -

Ellen Gottesdiener (ellen at ebgconsulting.com) has been trying to jump
back onto OSLIST but has not been able to for some reason of a technical
nature - so for now she wanted me to post this message to you all.

A month or so ago Ellen shared on OSLIST her preparation questions for
this event - Michael Pannwitz and I and Diana Larsen were all helping to
give her feedback and support - and now she shares how it went.:

Thanks so much Michael and Lisa for your emails prior to the OS event I
facilitated. I wanted to give you a quick summary:

The Open Space went really well; we had probably 500ish give or take
there; within about 5 minutes after I finished walking the inner circle
and talking about the process, there was a continuous long line going
down one of the aisles with people waiting to stand in the center and
talk about the session they wanted to convene!!

The Marketplace took about 40 minutes. The OS sessions throughout the 3
days were well attended; I 'Closed the Circle' after the afternoon of
the third day (when the conference time was wide open for Open Space) by
having us (this perhaps 80 people) stand in a circle; I passed the mike
around and asked everyone to say what OS meant to them and what they
planned to do. Many chose to talk. They acknowledged and appreciated
each other. They talked about how they wanted to use the process for
other things back at work. They said how cool it was to propose a topic
that they knew nothing about and get a bunch of people show up and
share; or about the value of intimate networking.

All and all, was good! I am now collecting retrospective comments from
committee members, and a few conferees have already commented on our
Wiki (which was only local during the conference and needs to be
integrated with the now available online Wiki - one of the many
logistical problems that plagued me in the planning). In a few weeks,
I'll post the retrospective comments in the feedback/suggestions section
of the conference Wiki.

Here are my own photos from before (setup) and during, (powerpoint) fyi:

http://www.ebgconsulting.com/Agile%202005%20Open%20Space%20photos/Agile%
20Development%20Conference%202005%20Open%20Space.ppt

many thanks once again for your support!

~~ ellen

(to which Michael said: Congratulations, Ellen, hope there are many more
os in your life!)
(and I added: Fabulous, fabulous, Ms. Ellen - sounds like a wild ride
(behind the scenes) and a great Open Space. They were so fortunate to
have you.  And thanks so much for sharing with us. I look forward to
hearing more about your future explorations in Open Space!)

Ellen's contact information:
ellen at ebgconsulting.com
Ellen Gottesdiener, CPF (Certified Professional Facilitator)
Principal Consultant, EBG Consulting, Inc.
1424 Ironwood Drive West, Carmel, IN. 46033.8722
V: 317.844.3747 F: 317.844.7374 C: 317.507.7374
~ Positive and productive collaboration toward shared goals ~