OS in Kherson, Ukraine

Jo Toepfer jotoepfer at boscop.de
Mon Aug 22 06:19:58 PDT 2005

Dear colleagues,

I just came back from Kherson, where I had the opportunity to
facilitate an open space meeting in the field of social service
development. It happened that I worked together with Olena Mikitas
and Svetlana Strelchuk. I found this opportunity very inspiring, we
had high play and high learning and it was fun.

We practiced the "classical" design: half day / full day / half day
(Action Planing). We had 84 participants, 24 issues posted at day
one, 2 additional issues posted (in red) on day two, 22 reports
handed in and 18 projects worked on in the Action Planing.

We worked in the 3rd floor of a huge youth palace, a gym. The
renovation was just finished but far not over. Regardless to the
intense cleaning the day before the event, the dirt of the renovation
was all over the place. And in one corner we had a huge scaffolding.
The whole atmosphere was very much in line with open space which can
be seen as the construction sight of our lives.

Working with Olena and Svetlana was not only easy going and very
relaxing for me as the facilitator. Both of them brought an special
Ukrainian favour to the event that I could never have create on my
own. The highlight was the Ukrainian - German facilitation duet
during the Action Planing. Olena did the morning news, I did the
Reading, Olena did the transition, I invited people to announce their
projects, Olena introduced the planning session, I did the
presentation and the closing circle. This division of labor had a
huge amount of diversity: german - ukrainian, male - female, local -
foreign, with glasses and without... It worked out very well and is
maybe an important break through for the future.

The real kicker was the temperature. On day one and two we almost had
40 degree. And the room had large windows and no air conditioner.
Most of the people perceived this very calm. The good news is that
the meeting room is just a few steps away from the river Dniepr. And
we had a good time on the beach every evening. Actually, whenever
somebody has to facilitate an open space in Kherson: this is a very
good spot to do it.

take care
Jo

P.S.
When I came back from Kherson to Kyiv I met just by chance Lada a
some of her friends. All of us were looking for a dining place. It
happened that we decided to stay together and it was a marvelous
evening in a little outdoor restaurant downtown in Kyiv. Perfect
timing without any kind of planing :-) open space?

Jo Toepfer, boscop eg
Dolziger Str. 40, 10247 Berlin
++49-30-42018000
www.boscop.de  www.joconsult.de