efficacy of modern medicine

EVERETT813 at aol.com EVERETT813 at aol.com
Sun Aug 21 13:08:09 PDT 2005

In a message dated 8/21/05 8:11:37 AM, therese.fitzpatrick at gmail.com writes:

> About medicine:  allopathic medicine, which seems to be the medicine
> Paul gives the most power, is just one approach.  Just as there is no
> one 'right' spiritual path for all humans, there is no one right
> medical system for all humans.

That is true, there is no one right medical system for all humans.   I also
subscribe to naturopathic medicine but am still doubtful of homeopathic
medicine.   I think we need the two, for sure.

The proof of the efficacy of a path is "what is the surety of the outcome"?
Prior to the rise of allopathic medicine and modern understandings about
germs, etc., and public health, more people died, many more.   I regard that as a
preventable tragedy.   We were not put on this earth, I believe, to not use
our brains but just to leave everything to 'God's will', which is the great cop
out of many civilizations and cultures.   Not to mention the virulent stream
of anti-intellectualism (and thus, anti-science, which is an endeavor of the
informed mind) that infects American thought, even today.   Even a
Harvard-trained physician (Frist) can come out and say we should be teaching "Intelligent
design" in our schools.   His colleagues must be wondering what happened to his
mind.   Politics clearly kills brain cells.

> Actually, I'm sitting here wondering how 'we' could possibly know if
> curing polio was a good thing or not.  Everytime human ingenuity
> meddles with the laws of nature, consequences are unleashed into the
> cosmic whole.  We don't really have any way of knowing what is right
> or wrong.

<<<Regarding my post, I guess plain speaking is becoming an endangered
species.   I'm not going there in this post because it's not useful.

As for medicine, even if Harrison is correct (95% of disease is cured by the
body), which I doubt, btw, but have no data so cannot say one way or the
other, I'm all for curing the other 5% because it houses things like polio, cancer
(which we haven't solved), measles, tetanus, the great scourge of mankind for
millennia---small pox, and many, many other of the 5% that many bodies didn't
cure.   The patient dies and that is the 'self limiting' method.   I'm not for
that method.

I am strongly all for healthy bodies so the mind and soul so housed have a
chance to learn their lessons of this lifetime.   (Yes, it can be argued that
their death or paralysis or disease was the lesson, but I'm not of that school).
  Jesus taught that 'I am come that you might have life, and have it more
abundantly'.   I don't believe the abundant life includes disease-caused death,
or paralysis of the body, the disfigurement by small pox, and etc.

If your comment on 'curing polio was a good thing or not' is really your
viewpoint, then I am very, very sorry for you.   I hope it was just an angry
comment meant to deride the viewpoint I presented in the earlier post and the
viewpoint contained above.   Before you continue in that vein, I suggest you talk
to those who had polio and survived but lived crippled lives because of it.
Or, the mothers and fathers who watched their child not be able to walk again,
or die because their lungs were paralyzed.   That is not the abundant life.
You can begin with Joelle, who survived polio.

Sincerely,

Paul Everett