OSONOS Proceedings - Day 2, Part 2

Alan Chilton achilton at ns.sympatico.ca
Fri Aug 5 19:49:12 PDT 2005

And here is Day 2 Part 2:

Name of Topic: Beginning with Images Not Words

Name of Convener: Lisa Heft

Name of Participants: Tree Fitzpatrick, Douglas Germann Jr., Michael
Pannwitz Jr., Esther Ewing, Sherry Modrow, Allison Rose, Brunhild Hofmann,
Sabine Herrmann, Kurt Connelly, Vanessa Hummod (spelling?), Fremy Cesar,
Sonya Vaschel, John Engle, Judy Robertson, Marei Kiele, Eric Lilius, Ronit
Kurz, Wendy Farmer O’Neill

Highlights of Brilliant Discussion:

Lisa shared how she has observed and felt that often some groups are very
‘heady’ / in their heads / intellectualizing and she feels it would be great
to perhaps unleash a deeper body (literally and figuratively) of knowledge
*first*, to seed the conversation to follow in a session.  She tried
something in a facilitation she did – a board of directors meeting (and the
task was also to help a board that was having problems getting along /
working with each other).

Materials: everyone gets a large sheet of flip chart paper and an assortment
of markers.

Directions: Each participant is invited to fold their paper in ½ and in ½
again, then open it up.  In other words, to create one sheet that shows you
4 quadrants (to draw in).

The instructions: “I would like you to draw a picture, a symbol, lines,
whatever (this is not an art contest, there will be no awards given,
squiggles are good, too, draw whatever comes out) to answer this question:

hat in your personal style can help a team / group?

Give them all time to draw, and when everyone is finished:

Now, in the 2nd box (let us say, clockwise), draw:

What is the unsure place you learn the most from?

Give them time, then:

In the 3rd box: What makes you laugh at yourself?

In the 4th box: What would you like to be remembered for?

Then, when everyone is finished, invite whomever feels like it to stand,
show us their drawings and tell us what they have drawn.  You may wish to
repeat the 4 questions to remind them as they go through telling about
themselves/their drawings.

- - - -

Participants stood in turn to share about themselves, using their drawings
and talking about them.  It was really marvelous to hear what this brought
out of people and brought to the group.

- - - -

In the particular instance Lisa used this, these were fairly formal Chief
Executive Officer types (suits and ties) on a retreat for the environmental
organization they volunteer for (as Board Directors).  They handled this
very well and they would not have considered themselves people who can draw.

Reflections from the group:

In the first quadrant, I decided to draw what I knew how to draw.  As I
moved to the next questions / quadrants, I felt more fluid, more relaxed
with my drawing.  And I realized that I could be really free even though I
felt a lack of artistic abilities, because I could explain what it was.

I was in a work group were they were kind of stuck – and we did something
like this – first individually
and then we covered a large table with a big
roll of paper and they all drew something together.

The second question goes very deep
but the thing about it is that each
person can choose their own level of depth.

I like this exercise because it adds counterbalance to the conversation that
follows – it seeds nutrition into the group – it brings the group to a
deeper place, where peoples thinking can come from below the head.

And perhaps there is also the aspect that the group is doing something that
they are not familiar with – something new – and they are doing it together.

I heard you say it was fine to scribble
and actually I was drawn to this
session because of my fear of doing anything in graphic form.  I still felt
the need to be representational in the first quadrant
and then I felt freer
as I moved into the next quadrants.

It might be interesting to invite people to draw some other picture before
this exercise – just to ‘prime the pump’. Or you could say ‘you have only 30
seconds – quickly, draw whatever comes out’.

Yes, but some people could feel panicky.

Yes, and a few of these questions took some time for reflection, so I could
really think about them and then draw.  I could not have done that in 30
seconds.

Lisa: One of the things I really appreciate is that it takes time, that
there is silence.  And that is just fine.  Waiting for other people to
complete their quadrant before moving on is just fine.  The silence is good,
and the time allows for both quick responders and ‘percolators’.

Lisa’s question – so: these questions can be good for a generic exercise –
to help as an intro for any group.  However, I am wondering how I might
adjust the questions for, for example, the way to begin a session that you
*know* will be very intellectual
such as something among academics about an
author’s works
or in a “Turtles” Open Space some of us had about envisioning
a world where everything – business, countries, whatever
was
self-organizing.

We talked about how the designing of the questions – though these 4
particular questions might work for many circumstances – perhaps you would
change the first one to reflect the purpose of each different specific group
meeting?  -- and that the thoughtfulness and intention of designing the
right questions
is just like working on the focusing question / theme for
Open Space – part of it is the pure intention you put into it – the
thoughtfulness you put into it
and part is the words you eventually find to
come as close as you can to what feels like the right questions.

Where from here?

Try it yourself, stretch it a little, let Lisa know what you did

Who could assist?

Anyone who cares to play. Enjoy

Name of Topic: The Tao of Conversation

Name of Convener: Doug Germann

Name of Participants: Andre Chiasson; Bruinhild Hofmann; Masud Sheikh; Eric
Lilius; Denise; Harris Becker; Nancy

Highlights of Brilliant Discussion:

1.	Persons are brought forth
2.	An extra person in the group
3.	Intention is necessary
4.	Get slower and slower—talking stick—gets beyond thinking
5.	Creates something greater than/different from any one person in the
group
6.	Difference: I and Me (I is more essential; me is the little person)
7.	You are seen for your future—strangers help because they do not see
your past
8.	Most conversations are not authentic

a.	I try to get authentic conversation by telling of myself
b.	“Pause of politeness”—to give time for what another says to soak in

9.	Difficult to do in my family

a.	It is dangerous to be authentic
b.	What is authentic? The conversations people are having are authentic
for their now.
c.	Authentic can be connective or divisive.
d.	We need to challenge ourselves to step back from our
stories—individually and as people in this relationship

10.	Have to meet people at their place—emotion.
11.	It is a commitment you make to people
12.	Rapport—meet at emotional level—people recognize that you recognize
their state of the moment—you are focusing your attention to them.
13.	People want you to meet them where they want to be met—sometimes you
have to “up the amperage” or turn it down.
14.	You can oppose another

a.	you sometimes have a duty to do so
b.	go to where they are to bring them elsewhere.

15.	Stay present
16.	Changes conversation—changes you
17.	Indra’s Web
18.	The touch points of life co-exist

Name of Topic:

Ghost Walk & ‘telling
in the graveyard across the street

Name of Convener:

judy robertson,  (Rene the Storyteller)

Name of Participants:

Alison Rose, Bob Sullens, Karen Davis

Highlights of Brilliant Discussion:

Engaging stories about the past of Halifax, reflecting some tragic
occurrences, including ‘hangings’, ‘fires’, ‘explosions’ and the by-products
of some lucrative ‘rum running’ and ‘shipping’ businesses.

Several of the stories focused on sightings within the oldest cemetery in
Halifax, St. Paul’s Anglican Church Cemetery, all recorded stories were
during day time hours.

A record of the many sightings within the city limits and on MacNab’s Island
(at the entrance of the Halifax Harbour) are kept in a ‘ghost file’ at the
public library in downtown Halifax.

Where from here?

Take the full HALIFAX GHOST TOURS with Rene (incredible, fabulous
storyteller), he takes people on a 2.5 hour walking tour of the downtown
area nightly.

Who could assist?

Ghosts
.

Name of Topic: what is the next space? Where is open space going to?

Name of Convener: Piret Jeedas

Name of Participants: Piret, Tracy, Ward, John, Peggy, Fremy

Highlights of Brilliant Discussion:

-         next level: consciously living in an open space both individually
and collectively

-         labels or titles are disappearing and people ask from themselves:
what does it mean to live in the community?

-         When open space emerged it was more like a bowl that we could
hold: now we look into the field of open space that is much more looser. And
on the field we are more connected to each other – we live in the web of
connections.

-         We need to constantly notice the open space that has always been
here – we need to unfold it so that leadership, creativity and passion can
be nurtured.

Name of Topic: OST & Complexity Science/Networks

Name of Convener: Jacqueline Throop-Robinson

Name of Participants: Henri, Paul, Ronit, Tova, Denise, Elizabeth

Highlights of Brilliant Discussion:

Amazing emergence/productivity comes from following simple rules (ant hill
analogy, OST, Boids)

What are you/we doing to make things simple?

Complex Adaptive Systems (CAS) are about parts interacting with each other,
non-linear, organic, self-organizing systems VERSUS mechanistic view

Plexis Institute has many resources for conducting workshops on this

“Society of Learning” holding a conference on this topic in Vienna in
September

“Becoming Interactive” in Budapest in October

Self-organization is happening all the time. It’s how everything gets done
anyway.

Problem with leaders and OD people is they try to find something we can
apply to the whole. Healthy CAS need the parts to adopt a certain way of
making sense of the emergent process. And the results are unique each time.

Alternative currencies also operate in networks.

How do we include our interior selves if we are following even minimal
rules? Perhaps don’t worry about the rules and where they come from but
worry about people participating and agreeing willingly to the rules. Follow
minimal specifications and justify each additional rule by ensuring there is
no way in the world you can’t live without it.

Distinguish between rules and permissions

LA Paper company and the Story of the Outrageous Goal – Set the outrageous
goal  (get something fixed that had been broken for two years in 2 weeks)
and open the space (“People can work with anyone on anything at anytime they
want to but everyone needs to take 8 hours off every 24 hours and tick off
things off the master to do list as you get things done.”) The goal was met!

Where from here?

*	Henri and Jacqueline will connect about the network in which Henri
participates
*	Jacqueline and Tova will connect on designing experiential
activities on this topic and other things
*	Jacqueline and Elizabeth will connect regarding her insights on her
most successful self-organizing sessions

Who could assist?

Anyone who has passion and a sense of responsibility

Name of Topic:

How do we find movement, improv.isational activities and kinesthetic
experiences in Open Space?

Name of Convener: Allie Middleton

Name of Participants: Karen Fish, Ali rose, Ronit Kurz, Becky Pedersen, Lisa
Heft

Highlights of Brilliant Discussion:

Background offered by convener regarding the use of improv. and other
experiential activites tthat help create a sense of ease and familiarity
with our bodies, thus opening to our somatic selves. These kinesthetic
techniques may serve to release static energies, perhaps invite greater
alignment and access to our higher selves, thus assist the ascending
energies, open more creative channels. Otherwise, we remain in the
energetically in the gravitation pull downwards.   So, it’s all about
inviting, opening to the ‘new’, or even just simply imprinting what ‘IS’.

Of course, all this is possible only in accord with the rhythm and energy
available in the group. Does the sponsor even want this, can you sell ti?
Or do you sneak it in, as you are ‘moved’
.and what is it that ‘moves
’???

Circumstances are always different, imposed movement may not be welcome,
spontaneous movement may be just right.  How to know?  Does music help
bodies move?  Can we use it to accelerate the process of a deeper, more
authentic level of communication. Even a mild gesture may help shift the
energetics in a room, help difuse or accelerate an emotionally charged
interaction.  (Is this a controlling move, contrary to OST?)  And what about
mopving just to eplore what the expression mught bring.  Drums were not
mentioned, nor types of dance, although these are also very fine to
experiment with.  PS Thanks to Karen Davis for re-introducing the Cherokee
Alignment dance =right after this session

Some questions posed:

How can we “BE” in our bodies as we practice OST?

What personal centering practices help OST practitioners remain still in
their Selves during turbulent times?

Do experiential activities help OST?  What are they?

Can exercises in groups help “weaken the ego”?

Does movement heal us?

Do non-verbal exercises help deepen thinking?

Does movement help create a sense of community?

Is the autopoetic self invited through movement; can that help OST connect
to something different as we all connect in the collective?

Resources shared:

Otto Scharmer’s use of self in his new work.  Still place within, of
Presence, as we are also moving ‘in action’ together
.

Meg Wheatley

Outdoor experiential activities (wilderness based
)

Improvizational tools are wonderful, freeing, fun and engaging
loosen up
folks

Get the humor bone working, also the sense of absurdity
.

BE SILLY

Activities shared:

            1.  Stop exercise. Objective: To explore the interaction of
surprise and time, and our reactions/responses. On a large carpet or other
well defined space, ask participants to crowd in and walk fast around in the
space, instructing them at times to ‘go faster, faster still’.  Speak with
urgency. Then ask them to reverse direction. Ask them to take care not to
bump one another. Have them ‘travel’ as long as you feel ‘right.’  Five
minutes is good.  Then say STOP, ask them to pair up, find a partner, then
ask them to respond to the following question in the dyad: ‘How do you wish
to die?”

Debrief relates to experience of shock, surprise, opening of emotions, use
of nurturing techniques, such as touch, during the conversations. Did you
foresee your future, someone else’s, something from the past
present
other?

            2.  Improv activity:  Create a human sculpture: Objective: to
imprint kinesthetically the somatic experience of conflict, then of harmony.

Begin with one person, then add others: body movements make a kinetic
sculpture; first with conflictual movements, second with harmonious
movement.

Debrief: ???? What was your experience
????

3.      Talking Buddha:  One person is the questioner, others gather,
standing close together to form the talking Buddha head. When responding,
the individuals comprising the Buddha answer the question by saying one word
each inn sequence (R to L of q’er) to form a sentence. When the response is
complete the last parson says ‘period.’  Make sure the questioner scribes
the response, as the ‘answer’  can move on
..

One of the questions posed today was: What is OS? Part of the Buddha’s
answer was

.Prairie grass moves dancingly along, with light creating spirals

.

Where from here?

How might we continue to explore the story of the OST circle process through
the use of the body and movement techniques?

Who could assist?

Any Body, somatic practitioners.

Name of Topic: “OS on OS-Moskva 2006”: Putin’s Promise?

 Note: report notes also reflect thoughts that arose in a wide-ranging
uber-useful butterfly conversation with Judi Richardson

Name of Convener: Raffi Aftandelian

Name of Participants: Peggy Holman

Highlights of Brilliant Discussion:

Importance of orienting participants physically and culturally as much as
possible beforehand and during the event

What to do so that participants feel welcomed and supported?

For Moscow we have a space that we (Intertraining, a professional
association of trainers and consultants of the former Soviet Union) has used
for many years to conduct the OSonOS. It is a space near Moscow (in Sovkhoz
Moskovksi, 15 min. drive from the Vnukovo Airport), a training center
belonging to the the Ministry of Agriculture. This location has both good
(while not luxurious) hotel rooms and a good conference space. Each year
this location gets better and better.

Michael Pannewitz and Jo Toepfer offered their OST facilitator workshop
there for Intertraining in 2000. Other internationally-known workshop
leaders, George Lakey (www.trainingforchange.org), Kit Coats have led
workshops here, too.

This training center has regularly offered vegetarian food and with work
could accommodate other dietary options too. This year it offered vegan food
by accident during Intertraining’s annual conference as it happened at the
same time as Lent
(we have the technology).

Importance of visiting the OSonOS convenor reflection notes.

Hold an OS-online gathering to harvest the wisdom of past OSonOS convenors
and also to include participatory design in the OSonOS.

The spiritual aspect of OSonOS organizing—the convenor(s) should do as
little of the work as possible, but rather just be holding the space for the
event to happen. Part of that is to stay in the realm of the possible, not
get hooked into getting annoyed, tap into the brilliance of those interested
in making the event possible.

Where from here?

Just ring, breathe it into taking place!

An OSonOSonOS will take place in October. We would like it to happen so that
IP-telephony/free-conferencing/skype/OS-online-type participation would be
possible.

Who could assist?

Anybody who cares to!

Just contact Galina Tsarkova ( <mailto:gala_tsar_kova_ at mail.ru>
gala_tsar_kova_ at mail.ru), Mikhail Pronin ( <mailto:virtus at mail.ru>
virtus at mail.ru), or Raffi Aftandelian ( <mailto:raffi at bk.ru> raffi at bk.ru)
and experience the magic.

Name of Topic: Exploring the Fool: High Play and Transformation in Open
Space

Name of Convener: Wendy Farmer-O’Neil

Name of Participants: Michael, Lisa, Bob, Tree, Newell, John, Ali, Marei,
Feliz, Masud, Vanessa, Michelle

Highlights of Brilliant Discussion:

Began the discussion with the following quote from K. Louise Vincent as
illustrative of the power of the Fool, fool energy and high play to
transform difficult or dark places:

There were many crowded into a large cattle truck, being taken away from the
barracks of the concentration camp where they had all been held as
prisoners.  Leaving the barracks the mood was unspeakably sober.  Everyone
knew the truck was headed for the gas chambers.  When the truck arrived, no
one could speak at all.  Even the guards were silent as they lined up the
men.  But the silence was soon interrupted by an energetic man, Robert
Desnos, who jumped out of the line and took the hand of one of the
condemned.  Improbable as the moment was, he read the man’s palm.  “Oh”, he
said, “I see you have a very long lifeline.  And you are gong to have three
children.”  He was exuberant for the man.  His excitement was contagious.
First one man, then another offered up his hand.  Each time the prediction
was for longevity and joy.  As Desnos read more palms, not only the mood of
the prisoners changed but that of the guards, too.  How can one explain it?
Perhaps the element of surprise planted a seed of doubt in their minds.
They were in any case so disoriented by this sudden change of mood among
those they were about to kill, they were unable to go through with the
executions.  So all the men were packed into the truck and returned to the
barracks.  What a leap of faith in the mouth of the gas chamber—to imagine a
long life, to connect with the possibility still alive in that moment they
jumped outside the world as it was created by the SS.

(
from soon to be published manuscript of poetry)

Question:  How can we grow/access this quality in our OS work as
facilitators?

Become present in the moment.

Give self permission.  Model permission.

Spend time with children.

Create ‘structured’ or ‘dedicated’ play time.

Read Dilbert.

There are ways to play the fool in a fierce way--using a combination of
fearlessness, playfulness and love to name the elephants. (e.g.: the
unexpressed conflict present in the room).

One exercise of play/fun/foolishness can change the energy of the whole
day/event.

Play connects us and gets us out of the mind and out of the ego.

Opens us to deep, often unseen diversity present in the group.

Games we played:

Hum a song the describes how you feel.

Tell us a weather condition that describes how you feel (good to use at the
beginning of a day)

How many hours of sleep did you have?

The wind blows
like musical chairs
one person starts
  “The wind blows for
everyone who
.tell something true about yourself
”Everyone for whom this is
true jumps up and has to change chairs
one left standing continues
then
shift to second stage that connects to the work of the group/event..(the
true thing should relate to the work or theme
)

Count to ten
everyone looks down at the floor and using a loud voice, as the
spirit moves them, shouts out a number in a round of counting to ten.  If
two people speak the same number at the same time, the round must begin
again at 1.  Brings the group in tune with itself.

Making situations physical
create a physical (body) sculpture that
represents the situation.  With a count of three movement changes
shift
position to represent the desired future.

Wear something playful (brooch, pin, hat, scarf, clothing) that is
surprising, pushes a boundary, creates conversation, reminds to be playful.

Emotional symphony:  segment the group.  Have each one make the sound of a
particular emotion. Then conduct using the emotion sounds.

Where from here?

Next available sandbox or playground.

Who could assist?

Everybody who wants to come play

Name of Topic: How can OpenSpace-Online optimize ongoing Open Space?

Name of Convener: Gabriela Ender

Name of Participants: Thomas Herrmann, Barbara Schneider, Daniel Gingsas,
Birgitt Williams, Michelle Cooper, Michelle Langille,

Highlights of Brilliant Discussion:

The OpenSpace-Online Real-time Conferencing Method was developed by Gabriela
and her team from Germany to especially promote self-organized,
result-oriented, and respectful online collaboration around the world --
based on the philosophy and principles of Open Space Technology. Moreover it
was created to bridge gaps between the “online and offline world”, to create
new synergies between different kinds of methods and approaches, and to
enable complete new participatory communication architectures and change
processes, and it was develop to make event organizers and their
participants as independent as possible from third parties. Therefore every
interest or working group is able to set up and to held such real-time
online open space meetings very fast and easy. At the website
<http://www.openspace-online.com/> www.OpenSpace-Online.com there is a
comfortable “Online Booking Service”, a User-Guide for Organizers and all
information and tools, which are helpful in order to work with
OpenSpace-Omline independently.

Gabriela shared a few experiences about the last three years of providing
this service worldwide. The system is used for a wide range of different
goals, and in different settings, and within and for many different
companies, networks or organizations.

Four persons of session group -- Michelle, Birgitt, Thomas and Barbara – has
already used the software once or very often – as participants, as
organizers and as “Meta-Facilitators”. Michelle mentioned, that as a
consultant, she do the same pre-work as she usually do as if she is
preparing an OST meeting (e.g. OS givens and invitation) with her clients –
except during the online-event, because of the virtual facilitation, which
is part of the software.

Birgitt Williams shared some of her experiences: Based on her work on the
Genuine Contact Program and on her concept of “Conscious Open Space
Organizations” her company is offering “Blended Open Space Settings”. For
example if an organization want to organize an face-to-face meeting with
participants from different parts of the country or the world, the
opportunity of having an online follow-up with OpenSpace-Online is every
time part of the proposal. Birgitt shared her experience, that each Open
Space Technology Meeting ends with at least 5 new topics, which needs to be
work further. This creates a good process frame for further open space work
and for maintaining the co-creative energy across distances (Ongoing OS
Walking and Talking). One of Birgitts customers is an International Health
Care Organizations. This company has staff in many different countries. The
online methodology gives them the opportunity to do their Organizational
Transformation Work and to create a special Corporate Culture across
distances and in an ongoing way based on the principles of Open Space.
Additionally Birgitt shared, that the International Genuine Contact Trainer
Group is using OpenSpace-Online a few times in the year for maintaining the
trainer community.

Michelle Cooper spoke about her experience, when she and other colleagues
facilitated an ongoing facilitation process with RNAO, a large Health Care
Organization in Canada. This organization had to deal with lots of
challenges after the illness SARS were especially in Canada. Michelle helped
RNAO to set up an OpenSpace-Online Conference. They wanted to give their
staff the opportunity to learn from each another, to share stories, and to
think about needs regarding future internal training programs. The 4,5 hour
conference was amazing success. RNAO could use the conference documentation
as well very good for their SARS research project.

Name of Topic:  “I once opened a Space
”  - Storytelling on Open Space

Name of Convener:  Erich Kolenaty

Name of Participants: Tova, Christine, Newell, Tree,  Carolynn

Highlights of Brilliant Discussion:

We had a great time telling stories and discuss our learning.

Where from here?

Share more stories

Who could assist?

All of us

Name of Topic: The Dynamics of Conscious Emergence

Name of Convener: Peggy Holman

Name of Participants: Andre Chiasson, Eric Lilius, Eva P. Svensson, Marei
Viele, Erich Kolensky, Kairi Birk, Joelle Everett, Chris Corrigan, Audrey
Coward, Christopher Comeau, Paul Everett, Deirdre Knowles, Brunhild Hofmann,
Robyn S. Berkessel, Alison Rose, Jacqueline Throop Robinson, Alan Chilton,
Masud Sheika, Wendy Farmer-O’Neil, Ward Williams, Nancy Weatherhead, Ronit
Kurz, Feliz Telek, Allison Hewitt, Larry Peterson, Doug Germann, Sherry
Modrow

Highlights of Brilliant Discussion:

Model of conscious emergence – particularly useful when people are starting
with fear, anger, conflict – brings an opportunity to ask powerful,
appreciative questions

People in fear bring with them hope and possibility

Asking open questions that set conditions for divergence, rather than
boundaries of form and structure – power, attraction, appreciation

In conflict, people tend to be frozen because the fear of chaos means losing
control

>From the personal I: follow your heart

Weaving within and creating a sense of connection

To We and reflection

Use silence

Moving to         Discovery~Personal~Universal~Emergence (part of a larger
whole)

                        Action  -- Coherence  --  Convergence

When we discover that we all care about the same things we move into a place
of coherence

Essence of Open Space = taking responsibility for what I/We love

Capacity to step into unknown comes through caring for ourselves, caring for
the whole

Consider implications of questions that close space and of questions that
open space

            What do you care about?

            What if
?

I/We: what actions will we take as a group?

What is more important than staying in the fear?

Conversation needs to reflect the process

Open Space makes community visible to itself

Fabric of relationship and community – a place of letting go – recreate
places in which to explore not knowing

Emergence – a way to facilitate working with people who have different
pieces of the whole – different parts of the view – we all have different
pieces – the whole – the hole – perspectives

Conscious emergence can provide a tangible framework, especially in topics
of long-standing conflict within a group/community –

The ordinary folks – people doing the work in an organization – don’t need a
model or “words” to describe emergence – they are happy when management
“gets out of the way” and lets it happen

Consciously shifting the nature of the question = appreciative inquiry

Peggy’s website has description of this model

Also see: U.S. West video re: union/management negotiations

Quotes:

“In any organization, when the fabric of connection is lost, things start to
fall apart.” –Peggy Holman?

“We have the experience of growing our (w)holes.” –Chris Corrigan

It is the edge of the earth—but it’s okay.” C. Corrigan

“Nobody sees the whole—that’s why we need multiple viewpoints.” –Paul
Everett

“You need two eyes to measure parallax—then you can measure depth.” C.
Corrigan

The Dynamics of Emergence

I have now shared the model that follows with graduate students in the midst
of a conflict with their institute, business people at a multinational
corporation, members of the Israeli school system, teachers in Ramallah, and
Executive MBA students and faculty in Colombia.  With each of these very
different audiences, it seems to provide a perspective that makes that
oh-so-unnerving step into chaos just a wee bit easier.

The model:

IMAGE REMOVED

When people feel the need for change, it is generally because they are
experiencing a “disturbance,” such as fear, conflict, crisis as well as
hope, aspiration, or desire.

While stepping into disturbances may feel like a crazy act of asking for
time spent in chaos, in truth it is the gateway to creativity.  To find
something new requires time in the unknown, in mystery.  That said, the
“space” is not limitless; rather it is bounded by a powerful question – a
theme that focuses, always expressed in terms of possibilities (not
problems).  This question acts as the attractor, something that people
coming care about enough to show up for the work.

Thus, the work begins with an invitation into exploring the unknown
together.  The greater the diversity of the participants, the more likely
the divergence of that exploration.  The wider the divergence, the more
likely something new will surface.  Inviting people to follow what has heart
and meaning, to take responsibility for what they love, often brings out the
unexpected in people.  It is a remarkable invitation for each person to look
within, to truly ask themselves what is important to them.  It takes each of
us into our own place of mystery.  When that invitation comes in a form in
which the collective is gathered together (e.g., processes such as Open
Space, World Café, Appreciative Inquiry, Dialogue), through their
reflections, people often experience a new sense of connection to each other
and the whole.

Through attractive questions, participant explored what calls them from
many, many angles.  Remarkably, the same conversations begin to show up in
many places.  These are the threads of emergence.  We begin to recognize
these threads because they resonate so clearly with many people.  Reflection
among the whole group often makes these emergent threads even more visible.

For example, in a recent OS on work-life balance, the same themes surfaced
many times in the closing circle: take responsibility for oneself; the power
to say no.  Participants experienced these ideas more than intellectually;
they sensed them physically, in their heart and in their gut.  We discussed
the visceral sense that signals emergence because it is experienced at all
levels (e.g., head, heart, body and spirit) and by many people.

This place of emergence is the magic that we feel when a gathering is at its
best.  I believe it is because we discover that is what most deeply
personal, what means most to us as an individual is also most universal.  In
that discovery, we begin to experience our connection to the “whole.”  This
feeling of connection fills us with excitement and energy that stirs us into
action.  This is the ground of spirit.

As new ideas, insights, leaders, and forms emerge, action is often swift and
effective.  How could this not occur when personal and collective meaning
and ideas for action are in harmony?  We are in convergence, where the
resonant areas that emerged from our divergent exploration coalesce.  There
is no need to “enroll” others; we’ve enrolled ourselves through our direct
experience.  There is no need for consensus; we have all internalized the
threads that connect us, providing responsible boundaries for action.
Parenthetically, this frequently extends to those who didn’t attend the
event, who somehow “catch” the spirit of the experience from those who were
there.

Understanding this pattern – that stepping into the unknown of divergence,
while it may seem chaotic, when bounded by a compelling question, leads to
emergence – may provide some confidence to a sponsor who is fearful of
losing control or that things will get out of hand.  It is a predictable
pattern that we have all experienced in the open space of life.  It is also
a chance to experience a new form of organization in a “learning laboratory”
of sorts.

IMAGE REMOVED

As people experience processes of different sizes or diversity or length,
over time, what typically emerges evolves.  Even in short, fairly homogenous
events, there is the possibility of new ideas and relationships, new
connections.  The likelihood of this increases with time and diversity.
With more time, generally two days, projects are likely to surface, complete
with temporary teams and leaders.  As the experience is internalized,
self-managed teams, with leaders shifting according to the needs of the
group may come into being.  With frequent use, an organization may even
begin to function with both leadership and form emerging to fit the context.

As embracing emergence becomes the conscious way of working, disturbances
often begin as butterfly conversations in the hallways.  Eventually they
make it into the marketplace of ideas, with an invitation by someone(s)
taking responsibility to convene a session and invite whoever cares about
the issue to address it on behalf of the whole.

My working definition of an emergent organization offers an answer to the
oft asked but rarely answered question about change or transformation:
“change to what?”  What it is that we wish to become?  This is my answer:

IMAGE REMOVED

If this is the work, what, in addition to opening lots of space, grows this
capacity for emergence?  My answer needs refining to what is most essential.
Here’s what I know of the territory:

IMAGE REMOVED

As I narrow these ideas to what is most essential, I know it begins with
welcoming disturbances, asking powerful questions, inviting people who care,
including diversity – particularly the unlikely participants, and inviting
people to take responsibility for what they love.  I think the rest of the
practices mentioned reinforce and nurture the capacity for emergence.

And that, so far, is my story.

Peggy Holman

 <mailto:peggy at opencirclecompany.com> peggy at opencirclecompany.com

 <http://www.opencirclecompany.com/> www.opencirclecompany.com

Name of Topic:  Spiral Dynamics, Collective Consciousness & OS

Name of Convener:  Larry Peterson

Name of Participants:

Jacqueline Throop Robinson, Gernot Znidar, Diane Gibeault, Masud Sheikh,
Wendy Farmer-O’Niel, Kerry Nepuk, Bill Mahoney, Sheila Keizer, Thomas
Herman, Christopher Comeau, Donna Clark, Karen Davis, Allie Middleton,
Audrey Coward, Gabriella Euder, Alan Chilton, Robyn Berkessel, Newell Eaton,
Andre Chiasson, Deidre Knowles, Christine Whitney Sanchez, Nancy
Weatherhead, Joe Szostak

Highlights of Brilliant Discussion:

The focus of the session was on using the perspective of Spiral Dynamics
Integral (Don Beck and Ken Wilber) to look at our experience with OST, the
response of organizations to OST and what happens after an OST event in an
organization.  It was stimulated by Larry’s experience with many OST events
and the differing responses of organizations.

About 2/3 of the group has some experience with Spiral Dynamics concepts and
so we began with some brief description of a few “vMemes” – blue, orange,
green – which are the “centers of gravity” of most organizations these day.
We recognized that it is a perspective on the evolution of consciousness
(there are others).  Organizations (or their leaders) seem to have a
dominant perspective.  We did not go deeply into the perspective but began
to apply it to OST.

Some people after an OST event will say “this was great networking” or
others will say “this was a deeply spiritual experience”.  This may reflect
their perspective on what they just experience.  Some organizations
primarily focus on pleasing the boss (blue), others may focus on evidence of
results (orange), and others on the relationships that have emerged and
ideas constructed.  This may reflect their dominant perspective or value
meme.

Why might this understanding be useful? When a client approaches, it can
help in finding the language that works to help them understand OST and to
help explore what they want to happen after.

OST creates a focus and a space/time (container) within which all levels of
consciousness are valued and can emerge. People can take their next steps
and experience (peak) another level.   Collectives can experience another
level of awareness, of being and working together.   Sustaining that
perspective, if it is beyond where they have been, is an evolutionary
process.  Shifting (transforming) to the next level is a process of
transcending and including.

OST may be a green “technology” that creates a space/time for all to emerge
with a second tier (yellow or turquoise) understanding.  It often requires
facilitators to move to the second tier to “hold the space” for enable
emergence of all levels in a healthy way.

Some initiatives in addition to OST may help the learning and growth that
leads to to transformation.  However, in two days we can’t “transform” an
organization we can only help their journey along.  Knowing that is
humbling.

Event if the OST does not lead to visible change, projects ongoing
initiative or more OST.  It may seed surprising things – individual action,
groups who leave and go to another organization to take it further, CEO’s
resigning.  There are fascinating possibilities that make it worth the
journey even if the client organization seems far from shifting to the next
level.

Some comments:

-This helps me better understand what is happening in some organizations
I’ve worked with.

-It is another useful language for the evolution I already know about.

Name of Topic:  Beyond Ego Mind

Name of Convener:  Christine Whitney Sanchez

Name of Participants:  Deirdre Knowles, Eddie Palmer, Allie Middleton, Cathy
Carmody, Michael Spencer, Eva P. Svensson, John Engle, Kerry Napuk, Eric
Lilius, Robyn S. Berkesiel, Bill Mahoney

Highlights of Brilliant Discussion:

Have you had the experience of transcending ego mind in open space or
another group setting?

*	In and out as a child – a matter of getting out of the way
*	On Having No Head, Douglas Harding,  <http://www.headless.org/>
www.headless.org

*	Boundless original face – when I’m looking at you, it’s face to no
face.  If we are all no face at the same time we could have the experience
of collective transcendence.

Has anyone had the experience of collective transcendence?

*	In Zen Enlightenment Intensive

*	Koan after koan – Who am I?  What is another?
*	As soon as student has the answer, she/he is given another koan.
All students came up with the same answer.

*	When we keep trying to answer with intellect, it eventually shuts
down and then the answer comes.  (Like the quote from this morning – “I used
to think the brain was the most wonderful organ in the body.  Then I
realized who was telling me this.”  Emo Philips)
*	In Open Space we are reminded of the quality of unity consciousness
– much like the state that can be induced when we cross our eyes.
*	Like wilderness work where people experience vast amounts of
physical space around them, OST can dislodge the familiar.
*	Concern about maintaining the vastness as we shift from large to
small spaces in OST.

How can we frame an invitation poetically to maintain the sense of vastness
and one eye?

*	Resonance/field/energetic connection is charged with ritual and
invitation
*	The expectation of this carrying over to the small groups – this has
not been explicitly addressed in the OST community.

What forms can we offer for progression?

*	As facilitators, our passion is about the process
*	Change begins at the level of the individual.
*	It’s not how good you are, it’s about how inviting you can be.
*	“OS Online was more powerful because I was faceless – I felt
strengthened and egoless.”

Do people become disinhibited because they are not face-to-face?

*	“In a similar experience, not OS, in a group that I did know
face-to-face, being online gave me time to form my words.
*	Disinhibition produces a flurry of feeling and thought that gets
documented.
*	OS exists on many levels.
*	When a group sets the intentions/expectations/fantasies, everyone is
set up for disappointment.
*	When we are looking for “respect” or “transformation,” ect., there
are different movies in people’s heads rather than true shared meaning.
*	Be open to outcomes

What would happen if we just stop?

*	It’s hard for us to stop.  People think that only talking leads to
action.
*	“I’m interested in hope.”

What if we just stop, right now and open to five minutes of silence?

*	Five minutes?  Is that negotiable? (laughter -----then silence)

 “How many cultures before us were comfortable sitting in silence in circles
and being okay with whatever emerges?

“We don’t have to talk to feel/be aware of our connection.”

“I’m grateful for the suggestion” (to stop, to sit in silence)

“Can we set aside time in large groups to have people greet each other
non-verbally?”

*	Anything like that is best when it comes from someone within the
circle.

How can we invite the quality of listening to silence?

*	In Native circles, the pipe might go around several times before
anyone speaks.  Whatever is spoken after the silence is met with the respect
of silence.
*	If there are many real levels and we can find an attunement, we
might get a chance of experimenting with another movement.
*	Otto Sharmer is a good model for how to retain a sense of stillness.
*	Back to one less thing to do so that we can be attentive, listen to
the silence and hold the space.
*	Picture the circle as a psychic cauldron.
*	Reflections on the shamanistic aspects of OST
*	Hawaiian spirit “Huna” has the lower self which executes everything
on this level, the middle self and the High Self which is connected to all
other High Selves.  The middle self communicates with the low self first.
*	What time is it?  Where are we?  How can we remain here?

Where from here?

§         Higher aspects are always available – we must remember to invite
them in, not necessarily in words.

Who could assist?

§         Each of us can ask for help from a no one at home, no face place.

Name of Topic:  Extreme Open Space – Very large or otherwise extreme

Name of Convener: Diane Gibeault, Peggy Holman

Name of Participants:

Daniel Gingras, Piret Jeedas, Sherry Modrow, Michael Pannwitz, Paul Everett,
Marei Kiele, Christine Whitney Sanchee, Tree, Liiel K., Peggy Holman, Diane
Gibeault

Highlights of Brilliant Discussion:

What is a large OS event? It could be 800, 1000, 2000 + or a few hundreds
with little time (less than a day) or

Peggy showed pictures and told the story of the OS she facilitated with 2000
street youth of Columbia. See her website for full story (including work
with sponsor and teachers) and pictures:
<http://www.peggy@pencirclecompany.com/> www.peggy at pencirclecompany.com

For the pictures, video and notes on the 2000 + participants’ OS Michael
Pannwitz and Harrison Owen facilitated in Germany, see Michael’s web:
<http://www.michaelmpannwitz.de/> www.michaelmpannwitz.de

A large OS event is the same as a small OS. Only a few logistical details
vary. These are a few examples of logistical adjustments Peggy made - some
were based on the German OS and others, from advice offered by the OS List
members.

*	Circular rows for people to sit on the floor and 6 aisles were
created with masking tape. The aisles were for participants to move to the
center to announce topics but they didn’t line up in Columbia – they all
went into in the centre.

*	There was one distinct topic wall per day.

*	Instead of Post-Its for time and place: within each of those big
walls (1/day), one section is allocated for each session time. Each session
time section takes the form of a matrix with a number of boxes that
corresponds to the number of expected topics (in this case, 80 for each of
the six sessions – approximately 400 or one fifth of participants.) Each box
has at the top a number under which participants will post their topics in a
way that the number remains visible as an indicator for where the discussion
will take place.

*	One volunteer at each session wall to help orient participants if
needed

*	In Germany, balloons identified the discussion sites.

*	Center was smaller (approximately 20 feet in diameter). Participants
come to the center to announce their topic.

*	Paper and markers were distributed by volunteers clearly identified
who stood in the aisles.

*	Facilitator held microphone (versus giving it to participants) for
topic announcements (340 in 40 minutes).

*	Reports: participants could enter reports in 40 computers or give
their notes to teachers who did the entry. Many did graphics – drawings as a
report. The report ended being 1200 pages.

*	Closing circle: an invitation to those who feel they have something
valuable to the group in the next 45 minutes. Began with a moment a silence
for people to reflect.

Pictures really help in getting a feeling of the experience. Do visit the
websites mentioned above.

Name of Topic:   Open Space in Canada
What’s happening? /

    Forum Ouvert au Canada. Qu’est-ce qui se passe?

Name of Convener: Diane Gibeault, Larry Peterson

Name of Participants:

Allison Hewlett, Michelle Cooper, Becky Peterson, Joe Szostak, Evan Throop
Robinson, Barbara Schnerder, Michelle Dunphy, Tracy Boyer, Andre Chiasson,
Daniel Gingras, Larry Peterson, Karen Fish, Rosemary Nichols, Donna Clark,
Karen Davis, Audrey Coward, Fremy Cesar, Christopher Comeau, Diane Gibeault.

Highlights of Brilliant Discussion:

A brief presentation and exchange on the history of Open Space Institute of
Canada (OSIC) and how it operates.

Each was invited to talk about what is happening around them with OST and
what they wished for in the future regarding OST:

*	Offers OST to international partners and soon internally to own
organization.
*	Sensing a readiness from organizations to try OST, e.g. in health.
More people are “getting it”, have a greater consciousness of OS helping
them. Ontario government is integrating OST as its participatory structure.
Wish: more OS on Line and more training and collaboration opportunities to
work on larger projects together.
*	Facilitates with OST and is committed to continue to work on
integrating it in the university despite the resistance at the higher
levels.
*	Facilitates using OST.
*	Brings OST in classroom and wants to research how to bring it even
more in schools.
*	Uses principles of OST in her teaching.
*	Uses OST for structural change in the corporation at work.
*	Works with a community group that uses OST on different themes, e.g.
youth.  Used not just for process but for culture change. Wish: have a
regular OS event, e.g. every 3 months.
*	Facilitates OST as a consultant. Wish: make OS known to the
community and organizations.
*	Consultant using OST for e.g.  in strategic planning.
*	More people see the value of OST for change and for project
acceleration. The Ontario government has a better understanding of OST now
but younger managers don’t know about it and want to micro manage,
especially in an environment that is very filled with fear. Teachers,
non-profit groups and others are using OS. There are centres of excellence
developing in various parts of Canada: Halifax, Toronto, Ottawa, Vancouver,
Calgary. Wish: opportunities to continue to grow, ie, people want to go
beyond the event, see how OS can inform how to operate in their
organization.
*	Doing many little OS events. Integrated OS in a conference of 350
people – it was wonderfully exciting! Wish: More work with OS. Just love how
the agenda arises from the group.
*	Am a mediator-facilitator. So many people in Halifax are using OST
in different ways.
*	Took training, facilitated about 40 events (federal gvt &
non-profit). Working with OS in education, business and unions, on a big
project with an employment equity federal program and with the Neighborhood
Work Program which is training internal facilitators to use OS in the
workplace. Is documenting organizational transformation. Training
facilitators on OST in Halifax – next workshop in September. Wish: develop
local practice community with the 100 (approximately) trained facilitators
in Nova Scotia and area
*	Teaching OS in university. Lives in US and in Quebec. Sees OS used
in communities in Canada and on national vision work. Wish: see more done in
communities on community, regional and national issues.
*	Trained in OS many years ago. Enjoys participating in OSIC meetings
and in the virtual leadership. Wish: More opportunities to work together.
Work on a collective vision for the OS Canada Institute- see where’ve been
and where we want to go.
*	Is from Haiti where works using OST. Is happy and grateful to be
part of the discussions to learn more about OST and to learn about how we
share ideas and function together.
*	Been doing facilitation and training on OST in English and French
for many years and sees an increased demand for it and from varied types of
organizations and from new places (e.g. France). Wish: an On Line OS for
next OSIC meeting in the fall. A face to face Canada OSonOS in 06 somewhere
in Canada. More new Canadian OST practitioners and supporters connecting and
being active in the Canada OST community.
*	Facilitates in a private sector corporation which has adopted OST as
its preferred method. Focus is result oriented, not cultural change. Opening
space is what people do. OST is a set of instructions to help people do
that. Interested in research – finding ways to open space with other
tools/instructions, how OST can be used in various circumstances, after the
event.

Other discussions:

*	Appreciate the openness and collaboration of the OS community-OSIC
(versus competitiveness like in some other professional org.s)
*	This network is an opportunity for mentoring. We can just call each
other.
*	Need to find ways to connect more regularly.
*	Our next topic of discussion could be the future of OSIC.
*	Organizations go in life cycles: flourish, decline and flourish
again.
*	We should hold the next OSonOS Canada in Calgary to bring together
geographical extremities of the country.
*	Use that opportunity to do outreach to former members.
*	Consider using Civic Space, a free software to include people who
can’t travel. Search for it with Google.

Where from here?

*	Michelle and Larry, with the help of Raymonde Lemire who does
part-time work for OSIC, will organize an OSonLine for the fall OSIC
meeting.

*	Everyone is invited to see the OSIC website:
<http://www.openspacecanada.org/> www.openspacecanada.org and to hopefully
join this OST community that offers among other things mutual support.

*	Diane will ensure that notes of this meeting will be shared with
other OSIC members asap.

Name of Topic: The Use of OS in One-on-One Relationships

Name of Convener: Esther Ewing

Name of Participants:  Chris Robertson, Thomas Hermann, Doug German, Karen
Fish, Sonya Vaschel, Cathy Carmody, Masud Sheikh

Highlights of Brilliant Discussion:

*	Chris R. wanted to determine whether there would be a methodology
you could apply potential host or sponsor when they were considering whether
to use open space or not – don’t want to “sell it” but invite them to
consider it
*	Sonya – intrigued with the notion of OS and one-on-one
*	Cathy – whatever happens
 means being open to whatever shows up –
letting go of outcomes, being who you are rather that what you do
*	Thomas H – working with OS and developing my skills – starting with
myself and OS with family members – also how to build closer relationships
with my sponsor/host – being invited to take their organization deeper and
how to do that
*	Doug G. – difficulty in getting to an open conversation with someone
you care about deeply – family members – being open to hearing others’
answers
*	Karen F – how to practice this in my family – my own level of
self-awareness and self-discipline impacts my practice and our own
discipline
*	Esther E – peripheral vision about what is possible – telling and in
listening

Other ideas:

·        Can’t change the conversation you have with others unless and until
you change the conversation with yourself

·        And through conversations with others we see the conversations with
ourselves more clearly

·        Conversations are happening on several levels – with ourself, with
the other, about the other in our own heads, etc.

·        The importance of Angeles Arrien’s Four Fold Way:

o       Show up and be present

o       Tell your truth without blame or judgement

o       Follow what has heart and meaning for you

o       Be open rather than attached to specific outcomes

·        When is the conversation just about dinner or about something else?

·        Getting the wisdom to know when is a time to go deep and when not?

·        Having permission about conversations – is it okay with you that I
speak with you about

·        Recognize that it takes courage to raise tough issues

·        Helping an individual client learn their way into OS – approaching
the notion of OS as the form of facilitation I might use – learned to hold
back with sponsor till they are ready

o       Don’t sell it

o       Encourage learning

o       OS can be intimidating – recognize that and support them

·        A great question for a client:

o       Three years from now if we were looking back on this work we might
do together, for you to consider it to be a success, what would have had to
have happened?

o       If they don’t want to consider that question, then red flags should
go up – they’re ambivalent in some key ways

Name of Topic: What does it mean to take responsibility for what we love
across generations of practitioners in the Open Space “Community”?

Name of Convener:  Peggy Holman, Tova Averbuch

Name of Participants: Paul Everett, Carmen Everall, Filiz Telek, Fr. Brian
S. Bainbridge, Marei Kiele, Joelle Everett, Tracy Boyer, Piret Jeedas, Eddie
Palmer, Erich Kolensky, Marilon Manning, Ward Williams, Elizabeth Amiss,
Birgitt Williams, Kairi Birk, Eva P. Svensson

Highlights of Brilliant Discussion:

*	Are we a community, a society, a network of practitioners?
*	We need conversations about what makes OS a magic community.
*	How to include the young and new folks in an old community that just
wants to hang out and be with old friends.
*	The OS principles themselves set the values of the community.
Openness, inclusion, invitation, responsibility, etc.
*	Issue of collaborative organization brought forth, what is the
likely outcome of what we call ourselves.
*	Have OS institutes in four different countries.
*	OS is like a faith work, a healthy place that isn’t very
quantifiable but rather is ‘qualifiable’.
*	Need new people for their contributions, diversity, and generativity
*	OSonOs is an opportunity for connecting in context of OS, can’t
really do that on the Listserv.  Growth in spirit from community and
connections.
*	WHAT WE CHERISH: OS brings life, a ‘society’ of shared life,
vitality and flow  (labels take away from the experience) that draws me to
it.

*	Inclusion and Invitation
*	Generosity of spirit
*	Attention to essence—minimalist enough in form.
*	Simplicity of design---what’s one less thing to do and still have a
whole.

*	Creates in me a sense of abundance.
*	Take responsibility for what I love, can I speak up for that?
*	Becoming comfortable with the unknown.

Name of Topic:  Words of Healing – Words of Power

Name of Convener:  Joelle Lyons Everett

Name of Participants:

Doug Germann, Esther Ewing, Brunhild Hofmann, Chris Corrigan

Highlights of Brilliant Discussion:

*	Sharing favorite poems

*	Poetry as healing energy

*	Offering (and asking for) blessings

*	A song, arising from the conversation, written by Esther

*	Poets, healers and OS facilitators use presence, words and
inspiration to move energy and power.  In opening an OS conference, I use
carefully-chosen words and ritual to open and hold a space for Spirit—a
shamanic act.

Where from here?

Online sharing of favorite poems

Listen for a new song!!!

Who could assist?

Name of Topic:   A short conversation consisting only of questions

                                                                        &

                                            No such thing as a space
invader?

Name of Convener:  Lisa Heft

Name of Participants:  Lisa Heft, Stefan Sargent, Nancy Weatherhead, Allison
Hewlitt, Chris Corrigan, Feliz Telek, Eric Lilius, Donna Clarke, Michael
Pannwitz Jr., Michelle Cooper, Audrey Coward, Father Brian Bainbridge,
Gabriela Ender, Larry Peterson, and others

Highlights of Brilliant Discussion:

Lisa gave a short background of a dialogue conference (the 2004 National
Coalition for Dialogue and Deliberation Conference) where the conference
organizers designed different dialogic processes into the conference.  One
evening there was what in a ‘traditional’ conference would have been a
‘panel of experts’.  At this conference these were 5 authors who had written
marvelous thoughtful books on something like the future of dialogue.   So
instead of a traditional panel, the facilitator for the evening asked the
first speaker a question about the future of dialogue.  The first speaker
would consider, and then thoughtfully answer that question, and continue and
share some of their experience; their truth that that question inspired.
Then they would end by ‘gifting’ a rich and juicy question to the next
person.  Who would consider that question and bring a thoughtful answer to
it, share their experience/truth, and gift the next person with a question,
and so on.  After the panel shared, the audience, which was seated in tables
of 5, continued – they received the last question from the stage, then
passed thoughtful questions and sharing one to one around their small
circle.

We decided to combine the two topics and use the question of ‘space invader’
as the focus for deeper inquiry.  Lisa began with an experience she had
where she realized that – whereas years before she would identify certain
people in a facilitation (Open Space or otherwise) ‘sucking the air out of
the room’ or as other people might describe it, ‘holding the group hostage’.
And she used to feel her job was to protect the group from this.  Maybe even
by taking the arm of that person and going for a walk with them (steering
them out of the room).  Now she has found that her experience is different,
that these people who she would have formerly thought of as space invaders
are actually gifts to the group – their difference is a gift to the group –
and of course, the OS process can be the container and the expansion to
included this and honor everyone.

Everybody listened deeply as one person would receive a question, share
their thoughts, and then gift the next person in the circle with another
question.

Questions and thoughts;

Awareness that what we perceive another as a space invader is a direct
reflection of what is going on inside of ourselves.

Questions asked:

  What is it?

  Where is the opportunity?

  How do we open ourselves up even further – turn ‘negative’ to ‘positive’?

  How can we hold space that is both contained and yet big enough that it
doesn’t

      break?

  Spirit is all there is.

  How does Spirit work through you?

  Can you get it wrong?

  Is there such a thing as a space invader?

  What would you have done?

The last question asked – and left unanswered – to savor
.

Can you remember a moment in your life when you were a space invader?

Be the Change!
Alan Chilton
achilton at ns.sympatico.ca
mobile: 902-478-6898