Mixed Mode Dangers

Michael Herman mjherman at gmail.com
Tue Aug 30 13:58:16 PDT 2005

...adding a bit more to this... it occurs to me that these mixed mode
dangers, related to our crisscrossing between opening/holding and
acting as expert, can pop up easily in our planning conversations.  we
bring lots of experience as expert, but also are in the position of
holding a space for organizers and planners to create the meeting they
want.  so sometimes it's a fine line.  perhaps the dynamics mentioned
in the article i linked to earlier are familiar:  dependency (client
collapse, we'll do anything you say), fight-flight (arguing or
abandoning openspace), and pairing  (side conversations that lead to
suggested 'modifications'.)  Thoughts?

MH

mherman at globalchicago.net

300 West North Ave #1105