Poem in Your Pocket Year

Joelle Lyons Everett JLEShelton at aol.com
Tue Apr 26 21:46:56 PDT 2005

In a message dated 4/25/05 10:54:37 AM, chris.corrigan at gmail.com writes:

 Hey Doug...great idea...perhaps a role for our current poet laureate might
be to convene a contest to create a poem just big enough to fit in one's
pocket, perhaps relating to OST, perhaps relating to the 20th birthday and all the
learning that has been shared...

> I've forgotten...who is our poet laureate at the moment?

Chris--

I am the poet laureate at the moment, though I have been a very silent one
this time, with my energy going to family concerns and grieving with and for
Paul's dad.   It's been a real pleasure to see the poet laureate function
continuing, self-organizing. I've been enjoying the flowering of poems on the OSList,
and especially the adventures people have had with pocket poems.   Seems like
a great way to add an unpredictable and rich element to our lives--a
butterfly effect.

I like the idea of "pocket poems."   Could be about Open Space, or any of the
critters that show up there, whether bumblebees, butterflies, walking feet. .
.or turtles, "all the way down."   Could be your "elevator speech" to the
world, to share the idea of Open Space, or encourage opening. . .

If people will submit poems small enough to fit a pocket, I will play with
the idea of making "poem pocket cards," a set with all the submitted poems.

Send your poem by Monday, May 23, with the subject line "OS Pocket Poem."

Joelle Everett