Learning to expand our NOW

Harrison Owen hhowen at comcast.net
Tue Apr 26 04:58:15 PDT 2005

I guess I need to read this book. Having been to most of the countries
mentioned my intuitive response seems to be rather different. And there is a
notable omission - Africa (the whole continent). But of course, I wasn't
conducting research in any proper sense of the word. But if I were to do
research my concern would equally be about a focus on NOW and the content of
NOW. Lots of folks live "only for the moment" but that moment is
quintessentially fleeting. Others seemingly live "in the moment" but the
magnitude of that moment seems almost like a minus quantity. The situation I
find most fulfilling is when The Moment/NOW includes all of time/space. In
that moment, there is no past or future, here or there. It is all now, it is
all present - it is all immediately accessible. Such an experience is not an
everyday one. Seems to come and go, but it is a definitive experience for me
in that it sets the standards. Everything else is going to - or coming from.
But every now and again you hit the whole enchilada. I suppose this may be
another way of talking about "getting the whole system in the room," but not
simply as a body count with all pertinent stakeholders marked present. This
would be the Whole System in all dimensions, certainly including the usual
four (dimensions) plus a whole mess more. Sort of boggles the mind and
certainly exceeds the mind's ability to track, analyze, and comprehend. When
encountered in an Open Space it can be quite disorienting and confusing
while simultaneously being richly rewarding. Then again, it may just be the
product of a boggled mind. :-)

Harrison

Harrison Owen

7808 River Falls Drive

Potomac, Maryland   20845

Phone 301-365-2093

Open Space Training www.openspaceworld.com <http://www.openspaceworld.com/>

To subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the archives Visit: