personal and professional OST facilitator "competencies"

Chris Corrigan chris.corrigan at gmail.com
Mon Apr 25 15:17:43 PDT 2005

On 4/25/05, Raffi Aftandelian <raffi at bk.ru> wrote:

> I was wondering if this list of personal competencies would be
> applicable to an OST facilitator. Would there be other ones?
>
> And, might the OST world have a need for developing such competencies?
> This is not a sly end run for certification, Gawd forbid.

Interesting stuff...

In terms of a need for such competencies, beyond whatever personal need
people have to measure their own growth, I like Harrison's original list of
OST facilitator competencies: anyone with a good heart and a good head can
open space. I don't need anything more than that.

I believe this to be true because I have seen it Some of the nicest OST
facilitations I have seen have been done by people who have these two
competencies in spades, but perhaps are lacking on the others. And although
being an OST facilitator (and a facilitator in general) is hard work and a
life long practice, I think the way to start into it is to just do it and
see where the practice takes you from there.

Speaking as one small part of the OST community, I think we don't need any
competencies other than the good heart/head ones. I would be saddened if
people felt that using Open Space was any harder than it is now, or that
there were barriers to their taking it, using it and making it their own. I
realize that this sometimes means that people stretch and break and abuse
the process we know and love with unseen consequences that result in some
people judging OST based only on "modified" experiences. But that's what
makes this community and this process so rich: finding out what wecan learn
by stumbling around in the journey and tripping on the serendipity that lies
in wait. "Competencies" in my mind can sometimes be used to get a handle on
serendipity, to remove all doubt from the certainty that THIS GUY RIGHT HERE
is going to deliver a perfect facilitation. I'm more about playing in the
fire...!

Cheers,

Chris
--