Raffi, genocide and OST

Filiz Telek FTelek at HFHI.org
Mon Apr 25 02:30:57 PDT 2005

I didn't really have this in mind, a blame and denial game, when I mentioned an open space with Turkish and Armenian people...because there is no end to that kind of debate...
My dream is more about acceptance and acknowledgement. Because I feel that's when the healing starts.
When I was in Armenia, people would ask me: do you know the Armenian genocide? And I would say: yes
And they would say: thank you!

This is it. That's all. From that point on we could move forward to a more constructive 'conversation' rather than a 'debate'
This is what I am envisioning.

Raffi, you asked me if I have a poem. I do actually. There is one poem from Neruda that I love very much, it is called Keeping Quiet...it very much relates to what I am saying above...

Now we will count to twelve
And we will all keep still.

For once on the face of the earth,
let's not speak in any language;
let's stop for one second,
and not move our arms so much.
It would be a delicious moment
without hurry, without locomotives;
all of us would be together
in a sudden uneasiness.

The fishermen in the cold sea
would do no harm to the whales
and the peasant gathering salt
would look at his torn hands.
Those who prepare green wars,
wars of gas, wars of fire,
victories without survivors,
would put on clean clothing
and would walk alongside their brothers
in the shade, without doing a thing.

What I want shouldn't be confused
with final inactivity;
life alone is what matters,
I want nothing to do with death.
If we weren't unanimous
about keeping our lives so much in motion,
if we could do nothing for once,
perhaps a great silence would
interrupt this sadness,
this never understanding ourselves
and threatening ourselves with death,
perhaps the earth is teaching us
when everything seems to be dead
and then everything is alive.
Now I'll count up to twelve
and you keep quiet and I'll go.

Pablo Neruda, as translated by Stephen Mitchell, "Keeping Quiet"

filiz

every day is a good day