A little help -- Please

Masud Sheikh masheikh at COGECO.CA
Sun Apr 24 10:03:45 PDT 2005

Harrison Owen <hhowen at comcast.net> wrote:

>My Inbox is a rich source of adventure. This little note from a CEO for
>example: "XXX Inc. has a highly skilled team of ~100 people doing great
>work
[SNIP]
> Basically I'm looking for techniques, methods, tools, and or simple ways
> to create an open environment of trust within a growing organization.
> My Dilemma: How to create a communication environment that's open,
> listens, hears, understands, and is responsive?

I can really only speak from my experience of 27 years employment with
IBM. As a "consultant" (to organizations) I had limited experience, and
none since moving to Canada. I tend to think that consultation is most
useful where involvement continues over longish periods, where one can see
the fruits of involvement (I use the word "fruit" rather than "result"
intentionally. Result implies a somewhat direct cause-effect relationship.
Fruits need many inputs to grow, one of which might be well be an
appropriate "consultation").

I feel that what I quoted from the email above contains a key to the
solution. I would spend the time at lunch to decide what is the level of
trust and depth of communication that is possible between the CEO & me. I
would also request that the CEO allow me into a meeting (one where he
feels comfortable) to see the interaction between the CEO and other team
members. One key aspect of any potential consultation would be to get the
CEO to learn and model the behaviour he wishes to see in other team
members.

It is good of you to offer to keep us informed, Harrison. I look forward
to hearing more on this "case".

Take care, all of you
Masud