OS and prioritizing of topics

Harrison Owen hhowen at comcast.net
Tue Apr 12 11:28:55 PDT 2005

Ah Priorities! Balloting! The discussion continues. I think the word for it
is convergence, and from where I sit, convergence is a simple, natural,
human act. After talking about a whole mess of things, it turns out that
some are more important to the assembled group than some others. Of course,
all issues (potentially) are important to somebody, and nobody can, or
should, change that. But some issues are more important to everybody, or at
least most people. The question is how do you surface the really HOT ones
without doing violence to all the rest?

Sticky dots and weighted balloting (electronic or manual) are two good ways
(See the User's guide for details) -- The important thing is to make clear
to everybody that this IS NOT a political win/lose situation. All issues are
still there, all are important to someone (presumably) -- but some are
really hot, and probably deserve a little more attention.

Peggy Holman and Chris, to mention a few, have developed another approach
which I tried for the first time (personally) last week with 400 healthcare
executives. Simply put: Open the space one more time. During the last three
hours of a 2 day Open Space I invited the whole group to think about all the
issues raised and if one issue, some combination of issues, or a totally new
issue raised itself in anybody's mind as being especially critical and/or
"actionable" -- to grab a piece of paper and post it on the wall. The energy
was enormous and in short order we had 16 postings which converted into 16
action sessions. Super.

Harrison

Harrison Owen
7808 River Falls Drive
Potomac, Maryland   20845
Phone 301-365-2093

To subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the archives Visit: