FW: 1st OS in Vietnam

Harrison Owen hhowen at comcast.net
Tue Apr 12 03:24:27 PDT 2005

I just received this delightful note from Jorie Wu in Taiwan. As you will
see Vietnam is now added to the OS space. Jorie is publishing the Chinese
version of ¡°The User¡¯s Guide,¡± and her questions about the meaning of
¡°right¡± (as in, ¡°Whoever comes is the right people.¡±) tickled my onion
(made me smile). Idiomatic language is devilishly hard to translate, and I
suspect idiomatic (colloquial) English is the worst offender. My first
reaction was to say something like, ¡°all of the above,¡± but I knew that
would create endless confusion and get me in a world of trouble. So I opted
for ¡°right¡± = ¡°appropriate.¡± Sounded good to me. What do you think?

Harrison

Harrison Owen

7808 River Falls Drive

Potomac, Maryland   20845

Phone 301-365-2093

Open Space Training www.openspaceworld.com <http://www.openspaceworld.com/>

To subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the archives Visit: