What I have learned

Robyn S Berkessel robyn at litglobal.com
Wed Apr 13 08:35:41 PDT 2005

The question for me is in the present continuous - what am I learning?
Participatory planning meetings have been part of my modus operandi since
the mid 80s when I was trained in  Search Conferencing a la Fred and
Merrelyn Emery (Australia).  Approx 10 years later I was told about Open
Space Technology.  I read some and loved it; and, finally after too many
years, I had the great fortune of attending Harrison's opening space on the
Practice of Peace at the invitation of Michael Herman in Chicago only last
year.   Having experienced the Practice of Peace,  living in open space  is
now a continuous learning process of discovering I can open space daily /
hourly when I need it for me, and for and with others.   It helps me in
times of urgency, frustrated with desire to make a difference.   In such
times Harrison's words "we muddle through" come up for me.   They are so
leveling and humbling.  They allow me to catch my breath and settle....the
principles of self-organizing simply are.   My husband, Juergen, also
attended in Chicago, so we have that wonderful experience in common.   We
feel blessed.    Professionally, I am far more patience and gracious;  when
I can open space with clients I love it because I know they will benefit.  I
would like it to happen more, but when it happens, it happens and it's
powerful.  I feel empowered as the participants take back their own power
and it's powerful in every sense - we connect to something deeper and more
powerful than we ever could as individuals and it moves us all.

Thank you, HO, and all you wonderful people: your stories mostly send
tingles up my spine.  I read the OSList.serv and so often find myself
bowing my head in gratitude.  I am learning.

Robyn
  _____

Robyn Stratton-Berkessel
LIT Global ...connecting the dots