open space Iraq

BJ Peters bjp1 at cox.net
Wed Sep 15 12:54:19 PDT 2004

I am awed by the courage of you, your colleagues and the Iraqi
participants. And I hope you continue this incredible work. Be Peace
--BJ Peters

On Wednesday, September 15, 2004, at 05:28 AM, Zachary Metz wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I just wanted to offer a quick but from the heart note about Open
> Space in Iraq.  Iraq is in the news every single day, and the news is
> clearly grim and mostly painful. I am here now, in Kirkuk, and we (a
> team from Columbia University Center for International Conflict
> Resolution) just finishd two workshops with forty people, both
> culminating in a one-day Open Space. In August we did one with 20
> people, so now at least 60 people have had this experience.
>
> I intend to write all of this up, but I just want to say that all of
> these OS experiences have been very poweful for all involved. The
> opportunity to listen and be heard in a safe and creative environment
> has profound impact here. In the closing, many people spoke of the
> power of the experience and the new opportunities this raises. Please
> keep in mind that these OS experiences were happening under armed
> gaurd, and many participants needed to take serious risks to get to
> the event. Hope is something that is slowly but surely being drained
> from these communities and at least I am hopeful that OS has helped
> keep people hopeful, which is all that we can ask at this moment
> really.
>
> I look forward to seeing some of you in Goa. Take care all, Zachary
> Metz

BJ Peters
bjp1 at cox.net
602.279.4805

"The path of violence moves from sharp to sharper to sharpest, while
the path of nonviolence moves from gentle to gentlier to gentliest."
-- Dwarko Sundrani, last active disciple of Mahatma Gandhi