AW: Function follows form?

Visuelle Protokolle mail at visuelle-protokolle.de
Sat Sep 4 00:31:21 PDT 2004

Hi Dough,

My two cents:

Christopher Alexander, an architect an re-searcher, studied the relation between form and function for years and years. His Book "A Pattern Language" is a source for me if I want to dive into this field. Basically he found out, that both form and function follow, or maybe better form patterns, which are related. Some of these patterns are archetypical, and true for all of us, and the forgotten pattern language could make life a lot more human.

So you have forms or patterns of life or behaviour, and corresponding physical forms or patterns, which can support the soft life forms/patterns or hinder their functions.

If you use 'form' for groups, for their shape, size, coherence, or for methods, types of communication, hierarchies, it seems to me, that you look at the structures. So different structures have an impact on the quality of the outcome, I think.

 So who comes first? Structure or quality? Who is master, who is servant? My choice is clear, but it seems not to be the main stream choice.

Mit freundlichen Gruessen
Best regards

Reinhard

VISUELLE PROTOKOLLE