open space series of cafes in London, first Tuesday 21 Sept 17.30

chris macrae wcbn007 at easynet.co.uk
Fri Sep 17 11:57:17 PDT 2004

London, Tuesday 21 Sept at 17.30, British Library: we are hosting the
first of a series of one-hour Simpol cafes – www.simpol.org.uk   - on
why practitioners of Open Space love what we try to facilitate for
people who don’t fully understand what Open Space systemises but are
concerned with big challenges

Bridget Peake is being our first guide. Amongst other application areas
she has taken open space to are:

5 general Create the World we Wants – arguably connecting the largest
network of change concern folk in Britain (which is admittedly is a
sleepy country for change)
2 specific CTWWW3 on education (which has become an idea that other
European countries are considering replicating), and international
policy
CTWWW has also spawned other events like sustainable business exchanges
at Findhorn Scotland – probably the largest permanent change community
in Britain

Bridget has also taught young cultural creatives to convene their open
spaces as I reported a few months back. She also does open space in
business

However there is something else that I would like these cafes which I
try to co-produce in London to achieve. Today I was at London’s first
convention of bloggers run in what they called an open space format.
Surprisingly? while they were all far more technology literate than me,
as social networkers most had a deeper humanitarian practice issue.
Their one day format consisted of 4 hours indoors and 2 hours walking
and conversing round London. Their 4 hour format was very interesting to
me:
15 minutes circle introduction
20 minutes of postits of what do you most want to discuss

20 minutes of rearranging a wall of postits into 4 clusters which then
became one-hours sessions dividing the 22? who came into almost equal
groups

then another look at the postits where different people took the
opportunity to rearrange how 2 or more concerns connected and to discuss
how they interpreted these new linked meanings

I would say the spirit and intent of this equalled several true open
spaces over 1 or 2 days that I have attended , so for those people who
come to an open space café in London who don’t dare produce a 2-day
event for their first big challenge convention, I think we should look
at attempts for mini-open space designs that if not exactly endorsing,
we agree have the same  self-organising spirit. Yes the same rule of the
law of 2 feet was the only rule applied today

Back to Tuesday, we meet in the café behind the main floor of the
British Library near Euston and Kings Cross Station. If you would like
to come or know someone in London who might (please relay the post ) .
The event is free, as are all collaboration and simpol cafes organised
by London, as First Collaboration Knowledge City –an odd phrase I have
to use because the European Union won’t look at any conversation format
unless it has knowledge in it . Please email me at wcbn007 at easynet.co.uk
if you wish to come or need further details. NB we just squat in the
café like any other customers (ie we are not a formal British Library
Event). Anything we think we may learn we will try and share with the
community be this alumni of open space or of collaboration knowledge
cities around the world

Makes enough sense?

Cheers
Chris Macrae, wcbn007 at easynet.co.uk
Blog of Firsts in the World is at  http://firstsintheworld.blogspot.com/

Water  Angels  http://waterangels.blogspot.com/
 being the context of most concern for www.simpol.org.uk
<http://www.simpol.org.uk/>  and next months 20000 European Social Forum
activists meeting in London
OSLIST at LISTSERV.BOISESTATE.EDU ------------------------------ To
subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the archives of
oslist at listserv.boisestate.edu:
OpenSpaceEmailLists and OSLIST FAQs: