Function follows form?

Douglas D. Germann, Sr. 76066.515 at compuserve.com
Fri Sep 3 07:39:10 PDT 2004

Hi good friends--

Florian once sent me an article about an architect and about how we got the
notion in our western culture that Form follows function.

Rob Lehman, Chair of the Fetzer Institute, in the latest issue of the IONS
journal Shift, raises the question that function can follow form, as it
relates to groups: that the group (that is, the form) can stir up from the
pot its truth and from that flows its action (function). So in my view it
is a circle and you can jump in where form is creating the function. And
why not, logically? Our house with its strange floor plan has changed how
we work and live and we think for the better.

Is this not what we see in groups? They come together as a collection
(form) of individuals. Their work (function) going forward flows from that
form. Then overnight--literally--they become one. And this seems to flow
from their function (that is the announced topic, "Issues and Opportunities
for..."), but also their function flows from their form--that is their
coming together and how they come together. A circle from stirring the pot.

                              :-Doug.
                              Know any Have-Tos?