Reflections on Goa

Pannwitz, Michael M mmpanne at boscop.de
Sat Oct 2 09:56:24 PDT 2004

Thanks for the report, Harrison!
I really enjoyed reading the part about the generational change since
I keep experiencing this, too (even though I am certainly much
younger than you just approaching 65).
It struck me in the recent trainings and also at the gathering in
Krakow on the InterActive organisation (which, by the way will find
its continuation at a different level, I am sure, in Budapest in
2005) as I felt very relaxed with all those new people from all over
Europe taking on stuff with ease and depth.
Looking forward to Halifax in 2005!
(Has a date been agreed on?)
Greetings from Berlin
mmp

In case you are in Irvine, CA on the evening of October 6, drop by
for Mexican food with Chris Corrigan and Denyette DePierro at the
Super Mex, 143 Culver Dr.Ste F, Irvine, CA...I will be there around
6pm ...anybody else? Be ready to be surprised.

On Sat, 2 Oct 2004 12:37:39 -0400, Harrison Owen wrote:

> [...]
>call maturation. Although it is true that we had one or two issues under the
>heading of what I might call "nuts and bolts" or practicalities of Open
>Space - they were very few and far between. And the perennial chestnut, How
>do you Sell Open Space?, never even showed up. All of the issues ran on a
>deeper level, I thought. The second package was what I might call
>generational change. The number of younger (and new) faces was striking, and
>even more striking was the commitment and knowledge they brought to the
>table. Some really significant work going on, and it was indeed an honor to
>sit at their feet. Some years back it seemed to me to be most important to
>make it clear that OS was not (and never had been) a "Harrison" thing. And
>so I found it useful to take a step back, at least in terms of hosting the
>OSONOS - having complete confidence that all would work perfectly. And it
>has. It now seems that another point of passage has arrived with the
>appearance of younger souls all ready, willing, and obviously capable of
>pushing to new levels.
>
>Next year (2005) Open space will be 20 years old, and as my dear friend Anne
>Stadler pointed out, I will be 70. Retirement has never seemed much of a
>option for me, if only because I have never been quite sure that I ever went
>to work. Be that as it may, it is absolutely apparent that Open Space is far
>from retirement; indeed it may be just now coming into its full power. In
>the past 20 years, we have obviously run the Beta Tests - and all systems
>seem to be more than operational. And beyond the practicalities, I think we
>have plumbed a few of the depths in terms of how and why OS works, while
>simultaneously coming to a clearer understanding of how to work most
>effectively with it. None of this is to suggest that the end of innovation
>and exploration has arrived - but I do think Open Space is ready for duty in
>all sorts of wonderful ways, better meetings being only a small part of the
>equation. And all of this has occurred not a moment too soon, for the world
>as we are experiencing it (at least as I am experiencing it) requires all
>sorts of new and enriching space. It has been quite a ride up until now, and
>so far as I can see, the most exciting part has already begun.
>
>Harrison
>
>Harrison Owen
>7808 River Falls Drive
>Potomac, Maryland   20845
>Phone 301-365-2093
>
>Open Space Training www.openspaceworld.com <http://www.openspaceworld.com/>
>
>Open Space Institute www.openspaceworld.org
>Personal website http://mywebpages.comcast.net/hhowen/index.htm
>OSLIST at LISTSERV.BOISESTATE.EDU
>To subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the archives Visit:
>

>*
>*
>
>To learn about OpenSpaceEmailLists and OSLIST FAQs:

Michael M Pannwitz, boscop
Draisweg 1, 12209 Berlin, Germany
FON ++49 - 30-772 8000     FAX ++49 - 30-773 92 464
www.michaelmpannwitz.de

133 Berliner open space-Veranstaltungen von 12 BegleiterInnen in 16 verschiedenen Bereichen:
www.openspace-landschaft.de

An der 156-köpfigen E-Gruppe "openspacedeutsch" interessiert? Enfach eine mail an mich.

Schaut mal in die neue Open Space World Map, seit dem 17.8.2004 online
www.openspaceworldmap.org