Footprints in the Wind/sm # 520

Douglas D. Germann, Sr. 76066.515 at compuserve.com
Wed Oct 27 18:12:10 PDT 2004

To our friends in the US and any friends elsewhere who are following the US
election process--

Oh, is there any place this ought to be posted, such as on a blog?

                     Footprints in the Wind/sm # 520

                              ooOOOoo
  o                                                                o
      A modest proposal for silence.

      What good could come of a quiet week? This week, the
      week before election day?

      What if there were a moratorium on political
      speeches, ads, press releases and grandstanding, for
      just one week? What if the pundits too went silent,
      for just these few days? What if we gave ourselves an
      open space to digest and mull over what we have
      heard? Does shrillness in this last week really help
      our democracy?

      We could not legislate such an interlude, not in this
      land of free speech and free press. Make it voluntary
      and expected, a part of the ethics and moral code and
      especially the common sense of doing what is right.

      Have you not found that good ideas and discernment
      come in times of percolation and stillness? Do you
      find the shower, or time alone in your car, or
      walking in the woods or a park are better suited to
      clear choices than when someone is haranguing you?

      Do we need more considered choices in our democracy?
      How would we be served by silence?
  o                                                                o
                              ooOOOoo

   Please pass it on. Be still.

                              :-Doug.

   By Douglas D. Germann, Sr. c Copyright 2004, Learning Works,
   Incorporated. All rights reserved. Easy reprint permissions:
          Doug at FootprintsintheWind.com or 574/291-0022,
          or P. O. Box 2796, South Bend, IN 46680-2796.
         Archived at http://www.FootprintsintheWind.com
   Please publish in your print or electronic periodical, with the
                            above info.