Circles: Beginning, Middle, and End

Harrison Owen hhowen at comcast.net
Sat Oct 9 11:09:13 PDT 2004

The recent discussion about what goes on in the opening, closing, and in
between circles set me to thinking. I am totally convinced that there is no
such thing as the (abstractly) "right" way to do it, but it does occur to me
that certain considerations do apply, at least in my own practice.

I find it useful to recall what we are trying to do anyhow. For me, the
whole point of an Open Space is to create the conditions under which the
people involved (participants) can be the most fully and productively
involved in their business, no matter how that business might be defined.
Anything that contributes to that full, productive involvement should be
made available, and anything that does not, probably shouldn't see the light
of day, even if it seemed like a very nice thing to do. If it doesn't add,
positively, don't do it. I guess that would be my first principle.

Second Principle: Keep it simple. Life is complex enough without needlessly
complexifying it. I suppose this shows up under my maxim, "Think of one more
thing not to do." Every time we (particularly in the role of facilitator) do
something, add something - we fill up space. Which means there is less space
for the participants, at least as they may perceive it. But if "it" really
seems like a good thing to do - Keep it simple. Takes less space that way.

Third Principle: Go with the least intrusive. To me the point of Open Space
and all the circles - is to allow the people to find their own way. A little
guidance can help, but to the extent that guidance (activity, exercise)
stands out starkly - it is almost inevitable that the people will
concentrate more on the guidance than on their primary task.

Forth Principle: Look for the appropriate. There is no right or wrong thing
to be done in the several circles. But there are appropriate things.
Appropriate to the people, their task, and the environment in which it is
all taking place. So if somebody were to ask, should one meditate in the
opening (middle, closing) circle, I would have to answer - it all depends.
And how about saying OOOOOMM. . . - same thing. I have participated in
opening circles with 1st Nation people (Native Americans) where we went on
at great length with all sorts of prayers to the ancestors, and covered
everything in a heavy (wonderful) cloud of sage smoke. The whole thing
seemed as natural as the rising of the Sun. But would I suggest praying to
the ancestors and smudging the room if the participants were all from a
large, up-tight, western corporation? Probably not -- although I could be
tempted. On another occasion, when I was working with a large US Church, the
closing circle became a celebration of Holy Communion - otherwise known as
The Mass. It was truly awesome when 500 folks who had worked hard together
over several days ended their time together united in the most sacred ritual
of their church. But to say the obvious - such a closing would lack
appropriateness in the majority of situations.

So anyhow - when it comes to activities in the Circles, particularly ones
that I might initiate, I try to consider the following:

If it doesn't add to the peoples' power, don't do it.
Keep it simple
Non-Intrusive
Be Appropriate.

Is this a magic formula? No - but it seems to work more often than not.

Harrison

Harrison Owen
7808 River Falls Drive
Potomac, Maryland   20845
Phone 301-365-2093

Open Space Training www.openspaceworld.com <http://www.openspaceworld.com/>

To subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the archives Visit: