vision

Joelle Lyons Everett JLEShelton at aol.com
Mon Nov 29 11:57:36 PST 2004

In a message dated 11/29/04 11:15:09 AM, dferrett at placer.ca.gov writes:

> I'm old fashioned when it comes to vision. I believe that people
> actually need to take time to be quiet and Visualize. In order for
> vision to become a compelling force, it has to be created from the inner
> minds and hearts of the participants. People can word smith later but,
> in my opinion,  to develop a vision at the word level alone is a waste
> of time - similarly with the mission and or purpose statement.
>
> Don--

We stumbled into this understanding years ago when we had a client that we
suspected, if we started with words, it would be very difficult for them to
reach any agreement.   Instead, we started with an individual process of becoming
quiet and visualizing, as you describe.   For some reason, the more meditative
process seems to bring out the shared values and visions within the
organization.   For years we have used this kind of process as a prerequisite to any
kind of statement-making the client may want.

Today, I often respond to requests for planning activities with the
suggestion of beginning with Open Space, which makes a space for everyone's voice to be
heard, and which also seems to provide an invitation for deeper
conversations.   Just does not make sense to look ahead with participants locked into a
business-as-usual frame of mind.

Joelle