givens

Jeff Aitken tzimtzum at earthlink.net
Mon Nov 22 14:21:57 PST 2004

I appreciate this thread very much --

There may be 2 different definitions of "givens" here. The difference is subtle, but important.

For me, it's not "what cannot be discussed." I always say to a client: there is no way to restrict what gets talked about in Open Space.

Rather, for me the "givens" are those things about the organization that will not be changed without the consent of the leadership. Or in some cases, the laws of the land.

I often think of Jill Janov in The Inventive Organization (Jossey Bass, 1994): rather than having control over everything in the organization, she helps the leader see it this way: they want certainty about certain essential things in the organization.

Now, I like what is being said in this thread. Why announce givens that are probably obvious to everyone?

I opened space for a parish meeting in a Catholic church some years ago, and afterward the parish priest declined to approve several creative ideas that had come forward. I learned about the idea of "givens" shortly after that, and talked with some disappointed parish leaders, wishing I would have used "givens" in their meeting. But their feedback was, they knew that in five years the priest would retire, and a fresh new leader could support their creative ideas; they were in it for the long haul.

Jeff Aitken
http://riograndio.blogspot.com