Givens

Harrison Owen hhowen at comcast.net
Sat Nov 20 15:10:43 PST 2004

Thomas -- I knew you were out there somewhere! On the subject of "Givens"
and how you use them -- I would guess that it is ultimately a matter of
personal preference and comfort (the facilitator's personal preference and
comfort). As I said when I started all this, I felt uncomfortable, and so my
preference was never to bring the matter up for discussion -- at least in
terms of specific things that would be withheld from the arena of Open
Space. For sure I would (and do) engage the sponsor deeply in terms of
desired outcomes (why are we having this meeting anyhow -- and what would be
different if we didn't have it at all???). But in all honesty, I have to say
that if, as, or when I found a sponsor/client who would require that
"certain things" be withheld from the realm of consideration, my response is
virtually automatic. Don't do an Open Space. Doubtless there will be other
ways to proceed, but none that I would care to follow.

You mention working with school groups and the idea that the pedagogical
curriculum might/should be "off limits." I have worked with any number of
school groups, and it is absolutely true that Principals, Teachers, and
School Administration desperately want to keep the discussion of the
curriculum off the agenda. They see this as their own professional "patch."
And all interlopers keep out!! Generally speaking, they are quite successful
in their effort -- and then they wonder why parents are less than
enthusiastically involved... Odd! At the end of the day, at least in a
democratic society, the parents/public WILL talk about these issues and
decide them (Who pays the taxes?). The real issue is -- will this
conversation be nasty or nice? If the conversation is avoided long enough,
it will happen, but explosively -- and usually destructively. So for my
money, anybody who places that sort of conversation in the protected area of
"The Givens" is simply storing up trouble for the future.

I think our friend Artur has put all this rather succinctly: "But, as you
recall, my main point about "givens" has always been the word itself. Who
"gives" the "givens"? It must be some sort of unquestionable authority.
Unless they would not be called "givens"...So, when you ask the sponsor "are
there any givens?" aren't you accepting the command and control way?"

Harrison

Harrison Owen
7808 River Falls Drive
Potomac, Maryland   20845
Phone 301-365-2093

To subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the archives Visit: