help needed

Laurence Berg LBerg at afsc.org
Thu Nov 18 10:04:31 PST 2004

Hi,

Reading your request reminded me of a workshop presented at the recent
conference of the National Coalition for Dialogue and Deliberation
(visit http://www.thataway.org/conference/index.html for more info) in
Denver, Colorado, USA.  I didn't attend that particular workshop, but
I've pasted the description of it below along with the contact info for
one of the presenters.  It may prove interesting/useful if you choose to
follow up.

Good luck,

-Laurence

Designing the D&D City

Kenoli Oleari and W. Marc Tognotti, The Global Democracy Institute and
San Francisco Neighborhood Assemblies Network

What would a city designed around D&D principles look like? Cities
regularly talk about developing physical infrastructure. But how about
participatory infrastructure? How can we develop institutions and
processes to bring neighborhoods together in regular and ongoing
dialogue? We'll talk about how a number of cities are already moving in
this direction, creating innovative citizen-participation systems. We'll
discuss the work we are doing in San Francisco, legislatively and with
communities, to create a citywide network of neighborhood assemblies
that are independent from but recognized by city hall, and integrated
into city decision-making processes. Participants in the session will be
asked to use their knowledge of D&D tools and processes and their
collective imagination to design model "neighborhood constitutions"
instituting D&D practices into the ongoing routine of community life.
Our meeting will use processes borrowed from Future Search and The World
Cafe, among others.

Kenoli Oleari

Principal Consultant, Horizons of Change

Berkeley, CA

kenoli at igc.org <mailto:kenoli at igc.org>

A little about myself...

I work with large and small groups to build individual and
organizational capacity through group interaction. I'm especially
interested in public participation. I've worked with groups and
communities worldwide. I'm currently focused on large group interactive
meeting designs.

---