Question on OS with a subgroup first

Gerard Muller gm at openspace.dk
Mon Nov 15 06:36:37 PST 2004

Dear Peggy,

Interesting question. I have done so a couple of times.

Basically in preparation sometimes for whatever reason the preparation
group I have a sense would be useful to have is not there (yet).
Then (unless the central question is blindingly obvious) I may ask for
another preparation meeting where those "missing" are invited.

When conditions are there to use Open Space in preparation, I have then
done so a couple of times. I agree with Theresa's comments. I remember
one occasion where I was called to facilitate an OS for an investment
fund - CEO's of different companies thay had a major share in. And the
topic was clearly very important, complex and so on. The preparation
meeting unfortunately could not take place until just before the event.
Then it turned out the CEO of the fund was not well informed, and very
nervous and sceptical. When I found out, I arranged a brief meeting to
explain OS to him and his staff, and did so as a (simulated) opening
session, up to the point the agenda was there. Worked well.

I have had one occasion where having an OS as part of the preparation
process produced lets say a surprising result. This smaller one was one
of the most dynamic I have ever been witness to.

Later on I understood this was because the smaller group was ahead of
the larger, and as a result, part of the larger group prioritised
talking about other things. It took me a while to understand the obvious
answer to the question
"If there would be a very good reason for this to happen, would could it
be ?". They had other priorities.

Greteings from Denmark,

Gerard Muller