help needed

Esther Ewing EwingChange at aol.com
Wed Nov 17 09:27:56 PST 2004

Esther here again:
I should have added that there is a rich resource of information  about
Appreciative Inquiry at the AI Commons at:

_http://appreciativeinquiry.cwru.edu/_ (http://appreciativeinquiry.cwru.edu/)

Enjoy!

Greetings Edie and Kerry:
I have fond memories of our lunch in Edinburgh.

Have a look at the Imagine Chicago venture which has been  replicated in a
number of cities coming out of the Appreciative Inquiry  movement. The link is:

_http://www.imaginechicago.org/_ (http://www.imaginechicago.org/)

Appreciative Inquiry is very compatible with Open  Space and is very much
worth considering as a methodology. The principle is to  inquire into the
strengths of a community/organization/company/etc. to find  the roots of an imagined
future.

In Chicago, the original community venture of the  "Imagine..." name, they
took 13 and 14 year olds and had them interview  community leaders of all
different kinds - politicians (including the mayor),  church leaders, business
leaders, social workers, etc. about the strengths of  the community and how they
might imagine it at its best in the future and they  built a plan together with
the leaders to make it  happen.

I am sure you can read more on the website and in  fact get more accurate
information than from me but one of the things that  struck me about what I heard
was the impact of being interviewed that these  community leaders
experienced. Quite a powerful  experience.

I think it's worth a look.

Best regards
Esther

Dear List

We are discussing a major visioning exercise with a think tank for a  city
with a population of one million people.

Our proposal would be to hold OS events in natural geographical  communities
(micro focus) followed by a city wide event (macro focus) to  pull together
the strands from these building blocks into an agreed agenda  for the city's
future.  The sponsors hope an agreed agenda would become  a framework for future
decisions by major institutions within the  city.

We ask your help on the following question: do you know any examples  where
cities have been re-invented by a bottom-up process or any large  community
using the micro building blocks approach proposed above?

Any help with exemplars is greatly appreciated.  Thanking you in  advance, we
remain

Eddie & Kerry
Open Futures Ltd.
Edinburgh
Scotland
k at napuk.demon.co.uk
www.openfutures.com
* *  ==========================================================
change your options, view the archives of  oslist at listserv.boisestate.edu:
OpenSpaceEmailLists and OSLIST FAQs:  http://www.openspaceworld.org/oslist

Esther Ewing
The Change Alliance
330 East 38th St., Suite  53K
New York, NY 10016, USA
Telephone: 212-661-6024, Fax:  866-296-6712

Assisting organizations to build capability
_www.changealliance.com_ (http://www.changealliance.com/)
Certified Panoramic Feedback Distributor (360  instrument)
_www.panoramicfeedback.com_ (http://www.panoramicfeedback.com/)
Certified Kolbe Distributor: _www.kolbe.com_ (http://www.kolbe.com/)