MG Taylor and DesignShop Events - a step on the OS continuum or something completely different?

Joelle Lyons Everett JLEShelton at aol.com
Tue Nov 16 14:38:31 PST 2004

Phil--

Before I began doing more of my consulting work in Open Space, I had one
project where everything that possibly could go wrong with the meeting space,
equipment and preparations, went seriously wrong.   It was so bad that it was a
serious distraction for everyone, and the meeting went down in flames.   So I do
have a healthy respect for having a supportive environment.

I've also done Open Space with some challenging shortfalls, and it didn't
seem to matter.   There is something wonderful about accepting what is there--and
watching participants improvise workarounds and make themselves comfortable.

One of the great things for me is that Open Space really requires very
little--space for a circle, and some paper and tape are nice.   At the end of the
day, there is no question that it was the participants who created the magic and
the results.  Watching a CEO who has always had a secretary to do his typing,
or a park maintenance worker who doesn't use a computer, sitting at the
computer hunting-and-pecking a report in their own words is a wonder of personal
responsibility and equality.  I'm sure sticky walls are great, but there is
something satisfying to me to watch convenors carefully blue-taping their session
posters to the wall--and going back later to re-tape someone else's poster
which is slipping toward the floor.   Personally, I just love watching people
take charge of the nitty-gritty of the day, and I notice that attitude carries
over into the organization.

I'm not putting down DesignShop, and there may be things we could learn from
their work.   And vice versa.

Joelle