Non-convergence, action planning and strategy AND Follow-up practices

Larry Peterson larry at spiritedorg.com
Sun Nov 14 16:37:53 PST 2004

Eva and All:

I'm glad to be able to check in to so many exiting conversations on the
list.  I've done some things like Eva with clients with ongoing OS and
change work.  Recently I was part of the facilitation of a follow-up to
the 5 simultaneous OS events I mentioned.  I am working with Starfield
Consulting on that project and it involves tenant leadership.  At the
first meeting after the event, the sponsors wanted to support the
development of ideas that were more than "do its", that really required
some project planning.  So, Rodger King developed a simple project
planning approach that was well understood by project leadership.  He
also met with some of the groups that initially struggled with gaining
some clarity.  All of the emergent groups developed some clear projects
-- deliverables, time lines and all. When they reported back to the
meeting I mentioned they were thrilled at what they had developed:
participatory theatre led by tenants to orient staff, new process to
develop tenant safety committees that seem to work,  ways to increase
the chance that maintenance is done right the first time, etc.  Tenant
leads worked with manager support to their largely tenant groups.

So the follow-up project planning help was very useful and was able to
help some of the energy from the OS event be sustained, particularly in
a place where "project planning" is not something they know how to do.

As for Opening the Space again, I followed that approach in Taipei when
I was there in a full 2.5 day event and it worked well.  The group was
voluntary, and would not continue as an organization, so any action
planning would be done by those who had a passion.  Priorities made no
sense as it was commitment and passion that would lead any initiative
forward, no mater what the group's priorities were.  The theme was
"Implementing our ideas" not the original theme.  To me that gave a
different focus to the second opening and it seemed to work.

Just some thoughts as I take a break.

Larry Peterson
Associates in Transformation
Toronto, ON, Canada