Muddling Through - and Post-its

Artur Silva arturfsilva at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 11 01:47:35 PST 2004

--- Chris Corrigan <chris.corrigan at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 16:50:09 -0500, Harrison Owen
> <hhowen at comcast.net> wrote:
>

> > All the rest is history, but it a history that
> seems to get re-written a
> > bit. It now seems that the Skunkworks, once well
> beneath the dignity of 3M
> > has now become a shining example of Corporate
> Vision. Oh Well.
> >
> > Harrison
>
> Well, Harrison, you know how stories are...
>
> :-)

This is interesting - and even more so, if one reads
the posts from the end to the beginning...

>From my 20 years experience at IBM (in the good old
days of S/360 and S/3) I would say that:

- innovation is always a fight, and impply some
Skunkwork;

- normally  many (contradictory) stories are organized
about any fact, showing different perspectives of
those facts;

- the last corporate story is as true as the previous
anti-system story - yet they are contradictory;

- the point about 3M is that a lot of Skunkworks on
different products were possible and a lot of new
products came to market - in some other companies "bad
products" were completelly killed and not even
shunnworks were allowed.

And, finnally, I agree with Chris - Harrison, you
should not believe too much in your own version of a
myth. By definition a different story of the same myth
will be circulating somewhere. Why are you surprised?

Regards

Artur

Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.
www.yahoo.com