hospital event

Harrison Owen hhowen at comcast.net
Tue Nov 9 07:11:02 PST 2004

                Johann Wrote:
                I think, my best bet is to open the space with the whole
system in a room and to have the divergence process done there, but to
renounce to converge at the end of that meeting. The convergence could be
done later on, after everybody has received and -hopefully- read a copy of
the proceedings. Then we can vote to prioritize items, and maybe meet again
to voice the results.
                In fact I have done almost exactly what you are proposing -
and it was also in a hospital. We know from experience that one day
(regardless of group size) is sufficient to get the major issues on the
table and allow the conversations to start. Of course it is also true that a
second day (with a night in between will go much deeper) - but your
situation does not seem to allow for that. Anyhow if you do one day with
everybody (all 1500) - record and distribute the proceedings hard copy or
online - or both) convergence, prioritization and action planning can take
place at a later time and slower pace. What you will lose is the sense of
urgencyenergy that inevitably builds when you have the whole group together.

                I know that some (many :-)) of my colleagues have an
aversion to electronic "voting" when it comes to the prioritization and
convergence process - but frankly if you are trying to accomplish all that
in what I might call a "distributed mode," I can't see that you have much
alternative. And when you are dealing with 1500 people over an extended
period of time, I rather think that having something that "benchmarks" the
level of energy in the group relative to the major issues becomes more than
useful. The software that I have used - which is available on
www.openspaceworld.org (I think) will do the job. Unfortunately it is all in
English. However, it is a relatively simple Excel program which some local
techie ought to be able to duplicate, or better yet, improve. You will find
the essential (simple) math involved in The User's Guide. With the
availability of such software you can then set up "Polling Places" around
the hospital. The balance of the process of moving from Issue identification
and discussion (in the large Open Space) on to development of action plans
and implementation should be pretty straight forward.

                Good Luck

                Harrison

Harrison Owen
7808 River Falls Drive
Potomac, Maryland   20845
Phone 301-365-2093
Open Space Training www.openspaceworld.com <http://www.openspaceworld.com/>

To subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the archives Visit: