muddling through

Kathryn Major kmajor at sbcglobal.net
Mon Nov 8 08:16:25 PST 2004

There is so much about OST that feels like homeschooling to me. :-)  My daughter is almost 15 and we've been homeschooling a few years now, and we are moving further away from the traditional schooling approach every day, even though we didn't start as unschoolers.

Public schooling *was* designed to fill the need for workers who perform in a military and industrial society without asking questions.  See www.johntaylorgatto.com .  John is developing a documentary on this very topic.  I've seen his preliminary material and it's fascinating.  It's just one more reason that OST makes sense to me.

Kathryn

Kathleen Pichola <kapich at juno.com> wrote:
I think public schools have a similar mind set to the
corporate world., plan, plan,, plan. It feels fear based to me. We
can't let kids have down time for fear of what they would do, get out of
control?