True Open Space....no givens!

Anu Parmar anuparmar at scastrategies.com
Fri Nov 19 14:55:26 PST 2004

Hi Viv and Everyone,
I'm a newbie at OS.  My first taste of OS was in India this September, first
at a conference in Panchagani and then at the OSonOS in Goa and some others
thereafter..  Have been reading with eyes peeled,  digesting all the info on
the List - and its a series of WOW factors for me everytime.

Reading Viv's approach made with smile (jump) with joy because it is right
up my alley - that is, truly living an Open Space life.  I spent two months
in India, traveling a great deal from Goa to Gangotri (in the Himalyas) and
honestly it was all 'open space living'.  No grand plans, agendas,
itineraries just doing what was (or felt) right at the right time and
getting results!.  For me the idea of Open Space is way above and beyond the
needs for only organizational development.  It is a dynamic way to LIVE.
Imagine if we could and would, take responsibilty for all our passions and
walk the talk of the 'law of two feet' and encourage, teach, help, empower
others to do the same - whether in organizations or not!   Perhaps I'm
preaching to the converted - most OS practitioners do perhaps share this
view !

I love the way Viv, you open space with your clients in the true sense of
the word 'open'.  Why talk about Open Space in a way that may close it
(albeit in a subtle way) by drawing boundaries, and 'givens' and to do's
etc....  I have been wondering how I would approach a client with Open Space
without having to 'box' it and still make this concept credible and
feasible.  I've gotten some idea on how you have done it but I would love to
hear more on how you 'sold' this idea (without explaining what OS is) to
academics for them to invest their time and energy in this forum.  As well
how long, in terms of days was this get-together.  Can you give us more
details, Viv, please.

Another questions for all you OS pros out there.
How would you introduce the idea and the power of OS to this situation:  a
department of about 100people, headed by an individual who is liked but not
truly trusted (too much history of political wranglings) and respect going
south, strong 'business culture' issues (north american and asian) years of
great success (sales) now facing tough competition, low morale, staff
turnover ~ 30%.  History indicates main issue here is leadership.

If they do accept the idea of an OS forum to address these issues, how would
you deal with:
1.  participants who want to address leadership issues - remember fingers
may point to the top guy? Would you encourage a total opening of space and
let it all come out or would you try to contain it for the sake of
sensitivity and avoiding potential conflict?
2. If issues of negative leadership is very likely to emerge (if the space
is truly kept open) would you advise the top guy to be a participant or be
absent from the proceedings?

I have many more questions on AI and OS (next time) but for now if I can
have the benefit of your combined wisdom and decades of experience  - that
would be great.....
Thanks

Anu Parmar
SCA Strategies Inc