Global Open Space project

Peggy S. Holman peggy at opencirclecompany.com
Thu Nov 11 12:57:17 PST 2004

This invitation is from my friend, Dinesh Chandra.

"How we can engage locally and connect globally to make a difference?"

Dear Friends

As a friend and/or participant at of one of the retreats held at

  Mount Madonna Center 2003- "Harnessing Surprise"  (www.mountmadonna.org/surprise <http://www.mountmadonna.org/surprise> )
  Point Reyes -2002 "Clarity, Courage and Connection"  (http://www.globalcitizenship.com/weekend.html)
 Dharamshala - 2001"What is true wealth and how cane we create it? (www.fhed.org/dharmashala.html <http://www.fhed.org/dharmashala.html> )

We are inviting you to join us on Saturday, December 4th for two conversations (9:00-10:00am PST and 4:30-5:30pm PST). You can either join us in person at Mount Madonna Center or join us via phone from wherever you are in the world.

We want to stay connected with you and the wonderful energy of our past association and to explore some new ideas with you and new friends from around the world.

In some recent conversations with other Co-conveners (Verna Allee, Aimee Bernstein, Peter Block, Dinesh Chandra, Roosvelt Finlayson, David Gutzwiller, Jed Jones, Michael Lindfield, Sadandand Ward Mailliard, Gary Merrill, Gary Musinczky, Bill Tobin, Lauren Vanett, Doug Walton,Vivian Wright) the concept of a "Global Open Space" emerged.

In order to think more deeply about how we might create global conversations to support those around the world who are engaged in transformational work, we are inviting you on playfully explore the theme

"How do we engage locally and connect globally to make a difference."

Your presence and particpation would be a gift.  Below find the invitation with more details. If you would like to join us please send an email to me and we will send you the contact number  for the conference.

There are few rooms (twin occupancy) at Mount Madonna for those of you who would like to stay there on Friday night ( fee $85.00. double room includes Friday dinner, and Saturday continental breakfast and lunch) If you would like a room then please respond to this email.

With warm regards,
Dinesh Chandra
408-210-3834
GLOBALQUAL at aol.com

An Invitation to Join the

Global Open Space Project

You Are Invited to Become a Part of Something Revolutionary

"For better or for worse, the world is in the midst of the tortuous birth throes of a collective emergence of an entirely new structure of consciousness . . . "

-           Ken Wilber, Integral Philosopher

Most of us recognize that the world is in the throes of what can only be described as a highly turbulent set of changes on a massive scale. On every level - ecologically, socially, politically, psychologically, and spiritually - we are irretrievably deep into this change process and there is no turning back. Many liken this change to a re-birthing process, albeit one the likes of which the world has never seen. Given our awareness of these changes, we are presented with a choice: we can take a passive "wait-and-see" attitude and continue to go about our lives as if things are business as usual. Or, we can collectively choose to guide ourselves through this re-birthing process toward the most desirable possible outcome. For those interested in the latter option, you are heartily welcomed to join a recently formed project called the Global Open Space (GOS) project.

The Global Open Space Project: Co-Creating a New Global Vision

"We are in the midst of a massive up-welling of human potential, creativity, anger, and frustration. We are confused and reactionary, yet bursting with new capacities."

-          Barbara Marx Hubbard, Evolutionary Thinker and Activist

Imagine a world that is connected by the values of joy, peace, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence, empathy, generosity, truth, compassion, faith, and the honoring of diversity. The objective of the GOS project is to manifest these values in much greater abundance than can be currently witnessed in the world today. Our vision is not Utopian, however. Rather, it is well grounded in action research that demonstrates the power of co-design and collaborative action. The GOS combines Internet-mediated communication technologies with collaboration methodologies that have been demonstrated to be effective in a number of real-world situations.

The guiding philosophy of the GOS is that positive social change can be fostered by linking multiple regional, action-based dialogue groups in such a way that a globally-appropriate collective vision statement and action plan emerges from their midst.  Rather than an ad-hoc effort spearheaded by a few well-intentioned individuals, the GOS is a collaborative effort to harness the collective wisdom of people all around the world by facilitating the connection of these regional groups in a systemic way.

How to Become Involved

The first GOS event is scheduled for the weekend of December 3-5, 2004. During this time, the regional groups will begin by formulating questions that will guide their inquiry process. Next, they will dialogue about the question they posed, resulting in a vision statement that summarizes their efforts. After the regional events, the output statements generated therein will be shared among the respective regional event conveners at the global level. This sharing process will serve to create both a global GOS vision statement and a plan for massive collective social action.

To become involved in this visionary effort as a regional participant, please contact the Global Open Space convener in your area.