GOOD WORK FOR 2,000 COLOMBIAN STREET KIDS (long)

Chris Corrigan chris.corrigan at gmail.com
Mon Nov 8 17:03:08 PST 2004

Wow Peggy.

My experience with kids, youth and young folks is that no amount of
chaos or mess deters them in Open Space.  They find their way to
posting sessions and connecting to the discussions they want to be
involved in.

You mention that the theme was fear-based, but what struck me was how
focused it was on individual action, contribution and responsibility.
I'm willing to be that in inviting people to reflect on the ways in
which they could personally deal with the forces around them you
calmed their fear.  A theme like "How can I contribute to employers
not canceling work for us now and in the future?" says that the answer
is within me, and so it's a matter of focusing and bringing forth
action from a place I deeply care about and own.  Knowing that one
owns one's liberation is a powerful and empowering moment.  Your
constant interventions, and those of your team, served to support that
space in being open, in which that dawning sense of empowerment was
invited to emerge.

As for the comment that day one was the apocalypse and day two was
heaven, well, that holds the record for a day two "bounce!"

It's a great story, and I'm left with an overall sense of awe at your
group, as I always am.  It's a rare and astonishing  moment when
hundreds of young people find their power in Open Space.  Events like
this truly change many single lives all at once.  Andres needs to
become a master storyteller because the story these kids are writing
is set to unfold over a generation.

Congrats Peggy and thanks for sharing this.

Chris

--
CHRIS CORRIGAN

Site: http://www.chriscorrigan.com