OST as an "halfway technology"

Michael Herman mherman at globalchicago.net
Tue May 18 20:30:46 PDT 2004

this is helpful clarification, harrison.  it occurs to me that
'non-convergence' popped up for this reason... because my experience was
that in *some* situations, the voting-style convergence did just get in
the way.   sometimes, as i've said earlier, even posters seem to get in
the way.   seem like more of a show than is necessary  (in small groups).

so my own wondering is echoing yours... what is the minimum structure
(physical/process including posters, circle, tape, even paper and
markers  -- cf john engle in haiti with non-readers) necessary to
support a group's mutual and simultaneous awareness of their own being
(as enacted via the Law) and the being of the group/larger world (as
embodied by the circle, marketplace and principles) ...mutual awareness
of control and out of control???  seems that the speaking (noticing)
that the law exists (that it is true) is most useful at a minimum for
the former (view of individual) and the building of some bulletin board
announcement space (written or verbal) are most imporant for the latter
(view of group).  the rest happens naturally or not at all.  since there
could be no group if there was no purpose, then purpose, question,
invitation, theme, whatever would be present naturally.  circle might
happen naturally, but that probably need only be invited, rather than
pre-set.  in groups of 200+ it might just be a matter of saving time to
set chairs in a circle.  and it does give us something to do, some way
to 'take care' of our own preparation.  ultimately the question of how
much or little is required to support mutualiy is necessarily new in
every group, every meeting, every moment.  truly a life practice, one
moment at a time.

this reminds me that, in my experience, this mutuality -- the
willingness to let others be as real to me as i am to myself, even and
including when the 'other' is a 'bigger body' that we'd normally call a
'group,' -- is the natural ground from which compassion (wish that
others be free of suffering), love (wish that others be happy), joy
(delight in others happiness) and confidence (equanimity) automatically
and immediately arise.  i'm guessing it's fair to lump these things into
the group form called 'spirit.'   during the evening event i did last
week, i practiced pulsing my awareness between my own spine and the
circle/group throughout the eventing, until even though they were always
distinct in awareness, they were also part of one soup.  took me four
days to burn off the sense of joy.  wow!  not sure what would happen if
the event had been longer or the group more prone to conflict.  maybe
just the same, maybe not.

seems this mutuality has always been part of the story you've told about
open space, harrison... "the good news is, the bad news is"  ...passion
and responsibility... female opening, male directing... individual and
group... lots of dualities to hold and let touch together... in the
pulsation between big group and small groups... until we notice that the
big group is still fully present even when we can't see all the bodies
spread out in nooks and niches, and also noticing that the little
personal connecting sparkles fly across the big circle, as special
relationships made during breakouts don't totally dissolve when the big
circle re-forms.  everybody seems to have a sense of everything.   in
shorthand, again.... spirit.

reminds me of many years ago when i used to suggest that opening space
was like blowing bubbles... and trying to blow the biggest bubble
possible.  necessarily that challenge presents a need to balance how i
direct my breath and what kind of movment and structure i see forming
right in front of me... and also balancing the pressure it will take to
finish the bubble and set it afloating and the amount of air i have left
in my lungs... inner sense and outer needs, inner goal and outer
structure.   bubble, breath, quivering surface, pulsation in the flow,
and attention... until all one and all done, a bubble, whole and free to
go where it will.

so i wonder what would happen if one of us were to go into the empty
conference room, write "what is the future of this company?  ...and what
should it be?" on the whiteboard.  and then sit down and start blowing
bubbles.  i hear that some people actually manage to create jobs and
lives not so very different from that.  this is what i'm imagining as
possible now. <grin>

hmmm...

--

Michael Herman