"Power to the people" or/and "showing people, what they had said" (LONG!)

Gabriela Ender gabriela.ender at OpenSpace-Online.com
Mon May 24 11:32:40 PDT 2004

Re: Four Principles, One Law -- and organisations (was halfway-technology)Dear Reinhard, dear all,

during the last months I had too less time to read all topics of this list. Today your posting attracted my attention. With some of your statements (see below) I can not agree ... therefore I feel passion to write something.

When I participated in an OST meeting for the first time, I really had a big "AHA" experience. I realized, that with this easy procedure, and solution-oriented structure, and open philosophy human beeings, no matter from which culture, come immediately in contact with their deep (conscious or unconscious) desire of "well-feeling-collaboration"  AND felt that this method is predestinated (as no other format I knew and know) to let the participants become quickly powerful and independent from third parties AND predestinated to support real transformation processes. I was fallen so much in love with OST, because it fit exactly to my old mission as a change facilitator, consultant and coach. My evidence sentence for success was: As soon as my customer will say ... "thank you, but now I do not need you any more. I am very good able to do it alone". This was always the main goal of my work. And this was later, what my heart touched so much regarding OST. My opinion is, that the old good principles of "human wisdom" offers a warm frame of trust, respect and important orientation. Of course other large intervention methods are also based on old assumptions, like "the wisdom lies in the group" and so on. But for me the main difference is, that OST supports THE POWER OF POEPLE, and much less the power of consultants.

I see my role as an OST facilitator 1.) to organize OST meetings as simple as possible in order to be a good ROLE MODEL for each potential new OST facilitator or OST organizer among the current group. With everything I do or not do I have in my mind the wish, that OST produce appetite of acting more pro-active, more self-organized, more self-responsible, and inspired by passion. And the wish, that the philosophy can have a healing impact in organizations as well as in other human relationships. And 2.) I see my role as a consultant and coach in front and behind of an OST meeting in order to support my customers in creating their own best meta-frame for a sustainable learning and change process. And again with the goal, that next time they are able to do it alone or much more alone.

Based on this mission I am not a friend of including "external visualizer" into the "normal" procedure of OST meetings. I am very open for exceptions. But my assumption is, that this wonderful art, made by one person, is reducing the sustainable energy of an OST group. Of course, at the beginning the group is very excited about all the amazing images (and I really love such pictures too!!). But I believe, that one of the most powerful results for each single participant in an OST meeting (and after the event) is the amazing (maybe new) feeling, the he/she is/was THE EXPERT. No matter, which kind of knowledge he/she is bringing into this meeting ... it is her/his own passion ... her/his passiv or activ collaboration ... and the way he/she is able to record the discussions or create images or sing songs. This is what the people make so often proud! What is when people, who are the FIRST TIME in an OST meeting see and experience such wonderful images, made by one (or two) special art experts? My opinion is, that this attraction minimize the energy and the unconscious belief of "being able to do this all alone".

It is not easy for me to write this, because I know how many nice colleagues love such art in their OST meeting. I really do not want to reduce the amazing value of your talent and of all others who are able to create such wonderful pictures or include this art in their meetings. I see amazing values in other large group activities (and trainings, seminars, meetings, conferences, and so on), when special people could draw images from a different / meta perspective, with new wonderful AHA´s, ... their own "bigger pictures". But my personal opinion is, that especially with OST we should facilitate the power of the people and less the powerful memories of one persons pictures. It is the same with my software. I would never suggest to use the online tool, when poeple have the opportunity to meet face-to-face, and if they  have the opportunity to experience an OST  ... as simple and powerful as possible.

Maybe I see this all too rigorous? Maybe not? Just my perspective in the middle of diverse perspectives, fortunately!

Love & Peace from Berlin,
Gabriela Ender

http://www.OpenSpace-Online.com
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Visuelle Protokolle
  To: OSLIST at LISTSERV.BOISESTATE.EDU
  Sent: Monday, May 24, 2004 4:40 PM
  Subject: AW: Four Principles, One Law --a halfway-technology?

  Hi all,

  when I came across my first Open Space meeting in 1998 (???) at the lake of Starnberg, led by Katrina Petri, with Harrison Owen as special guest, it was a good experience, but not a special "aha" for me. The theoretical background, the idea behind the concept, as far as I understood, was very natural for me, I had neither to overcome any resistance nor did I get  totally new perspectives. So I dived into the process drawing images and showing people what they had said. They seemed to like it, because everybody was on his way from group to group and liked to get the whole picture together with the details he remembered.

  Open Space Technology was for me just one of the several large group interventions I was eager to learn more about.

  When I look at it now, it was so natural, because it mirrored my believe system, which I had acchieved under heavy struggles. I had come to the conclusion, that the wisdom always lies in the group, or in the employees, or in the person, and no external trainer or superior CEO or  parent or representative of some religion or state knows better what somebody else should do or think.

  I had found friends and mirrors of my insights in many parts of the inner and outer world, like the mystics, or the early 'Reformpädagogik' , an educational movement in Germany and England a hundred years ago, and had based my former work as a consultant and facility programmer in the field of architecture on exactly the same believe that people know what they need, and only need the help of an obstetrician to recognize it themselves. One of my prophets was Christopher Alexander with his books 'A Pattern Language' and 'The Timeless Way of Building' from the late 70ties.

  And then Florian Fischer brought me in contact with the Oslist. I owe it to him that I found so beautiful people like Chris Corrigan and Birgitt Williams and Marei Kiele and Artur Silva and the treasures of the widespred wisdom and experience, day by day. Thanks to you all!

  When I see you now discussing the four principles and one law, I have my two cents to contribute. It seems to me, that the reason for the fast spread of OST all over the world might be exactly this law and these principles, functioning as a label, which at the first look seems so mundane and absolutely not dangerous.  They are so easy to remember, that many people think "oh, that's it? Interesting!  And it costs nothing?" It's kind of a trick: no word about the desired outcome, the customer value, the spiritual implementations, about love or self realisation or Michael Hermanns levels. Maybe sometimes a little mumbling "oh, is this a Buddhist view?" when it comes to the two principles Artur is talking about. But in general, OST: a simple brand.

  So, since OST for me is no religion, no dogma, nothing to believe, but a good manifestation of the real thing, a tool that works, I would propose to let it as it is.

  Behind and besides, the believe system behind OST is much older and can be found in many moldings. Here for me begin the worthwhile themes. And besides: What also fascinates me, is using the OST tool in the context of sustainability, as Birgitt Williams does, combining it with other spiritual tools like Medicine Wheel.

  Mit freundlichen Grüßen
  Best regards

  Reinhard

  VISUELLE PROTOKOLLE
  Kuchenmüller & Dr. Stifel
  Munich Germany

  Tel: +49- 89- 202 447 48
  Fax. +49- 89- 202 447 49

  www.visuelle-protokolle.de

  * * ========================================================== OSLIST at LISTSERV.BOISESTATE.EDU ------------------------------ To subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the archives of oslist at listserv.boisestate.edu: http://listserv.boisestate.edu/archives/oslist.html To learn about OpenSpaceEmailLists and OSLIST FAQs: http://www.openspaceworld.org/oslist