Four Principles, One Law - and organisations (was half-way technology)

Marei Kiele MareiKiele at web.de
Sat May 22 12:51:00 PDT 2004

Arthur, I agree with the principles not really being needed. Thank you for kicking my thinking in this direction.

I suggest seeing them as a counterbalance to all the planing and fulfilling plans (also known as controlling) we are used to. They may make it easier to follow the law - like a crutch helping to walk, if one's muscles are not strong enough, yet. So the question can always be - do people really need this help/this crutch? When is the time to let go of it?

And going further: Do we need the law?
What is all about, what is the essence?

To me, it all comes down to honesty. Honesty to myself and to others. By following the law I am honest. I realize and show what I care for. And I am able to meet others who really care for the same thing and are not only faking, for what reason ever. Mostly the reason for faking is fear in all it's ways. And the principles may assist people to handle their fears.

To make it more practical: When I got in touch with open space I constantly used the principles in my daily life. I remembered them every time I had to make a decision I was afraid of. Writing this I realize that now, barely a year later, I go directly into the question: What do I really want? What do I really think? What do I really want to say? Where and with whom do I really want to be?

I can well imagine times when ost as a methodology isn't needed any more because every one has the space from birth on to follow where the heart goes instead of following rules who make us become liars. In this way I agree that ost is a halfway technology.

And the organizations?

I offer the thought that the definition of an organisation may best be changed. In Chapter 3 of Practice of Peace (the one I am recording but haven't suceeded yet) there is a sentence about the evolution from the tribes and kingdoms to the nation state and the global community. Maybe it is not about the organisations we actually know becoming interactive but about dissolving and building a new organism. Therefore an "open space organisation" may never be found if we are looking out for something showing the old shape.

I agree with you, Harrison, we are such an organisation. No stakeholders, no payrole, no common office - but coming and going, contributing and learning, challenging and nurturing each other - pulsing as you said, michaelh. We are a living organisation.

Marei

--

Wenn wir alle tun, was wir wirklich wollen -
wo kommen wir da hin?

If we all do, what we really want to - where will we arrive?